[DCN-TechOps] sendmail upgrade

John M. Crowell jcrowell at dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Sep 17 12:50:05 PDT 2003

Unless there is objection, I plan to upgrade sendmail on wheel and spoke
to version 8.12.9 on Saturday, September 20.

This is a major change.  The new version uses different configuration
files and mail queues for sendmail connections via the running daemon
and sendmail processes invoked by users and users' scripts.  The new
version offers much more security, fixing security holes from previous
versions, and running without setting its UID to root.

The configuration file(s) are much more complex, and it took a while
for me to perform the DCN customizations to allow relaying from, but not to,
specified hosts and domains.

As usual, a backout script will be ready to revert to the old version
should anything go awry.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

	- Jack

John M. Crowell                     Learn from the Past
 Davis Community Network              Live for Today
 DCN Systems Manager                    Look to Tomorrow
     netadmin at dcn.davis.ca.us             Take a Nap This afternoon
 Sacramento Master Singers
 Music Librarian
     jcrowell at mastersingers.org