[DCN-TechOps] Base Specs for App Server

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Sun Mar 14 16:06:11 PST 2004

Thanks for the suggestions!

We're already fronting Zope with Apache, and use it to cache what can be
cached. That helps with public pages, but still leaves us hurting on
items that can't be cached -- like management interface pages and
election result pages. (Also, I'm not seeing as much benefit from
caching on this machine as I've seen on others. Something's adding some
latency to the apache-cache served files. They're still faster than Zope
pages, just not as much as you'd expect.)

The machine we're currently using as our main Zope server has four
166mHz processors. I'm pretty sure that Zope/Python's threading isn't
making good use of the multiple processors (a known problem with
Solaris), so this is acting like a slow, single-processor machine as far
as Zope's concerned. One possible improvement might come from using ZEO
and binding the Zope client and the ZODB database to different
processors. But I think that would just be a holding action.

Another consideration is that we'd like to be running some Plone sites.
I don't know if you've worked with Plone, but its ZPT pages typically
take about ten times as long to serve as DTML pages. (That also means
that they benefit even more from caching.)

I hadn't thought about Opteron options, so thanks for pointing us in
that direction. The memory use benchmarks make it look like it might be
a great Zope platform.

Steve

--

Steve McMahon