[DCN-TechOps] Server Specs (Another Forward)

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Tue Sep 28 13:00:44 PDT 2004

Jon Lee wrote:
> I often seen dual intels provide LESS performance than a single processor
> because of memory contention issues, in this particular case you are
> getting a memory system 2/3rds as fast as a cheap single cpu dell and
> sharing it among 2 processors.

There are ways around this for our particular cycle/memory hog, Zope. We
can (with some effort) install it in a client/server architecture with
both clients and server on the same machine, bound to different processors.

But, I think we'd be OK for some time with just one processor. So, the
issue of efficiently using two could be postponed.

--

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC
steve at reidmcmahon.com