[DCN-TechOps] Please help test new DCN web application

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Sat Feb 11 11:09:00 PST 2006

[My apologies to those who receive multiple copies of this announcement;
it's going out to all DCN's major committee lists.]

The DCN web team has been developing a web application that hopefully
will serve as a successor to our popular SimpleSites. We could use your
help in testing it.

Like SimpleSites, this is meant to serve as a simple web site --
maintainable through-the-web -- for a small organization. The new
application, which I'm currently calling "MiniPortals" is based on
Plone. It allows us to deploy many web sites that act like a simplified
Plone within a single Plone install. It's also able optionally to use an
organization's DCN event calendar as a replacement for the Plone calendar.

Some of the many improvements over SimpleSites include:

* a rich-text editor (for those using Firefox or IE 6);

* ability to add folders;

* built-in search, site map (and RSS);

* built-in Creative Commons license choices.

You may see a sample in operation at:

http://groups.dcn.org/newminiportal

End-user documentation is under development at:

http://groups.dcn.org/mpdocs

If you're interested in helping test or refine MiniPortals, let me know.
I'll create a test site for you to play with. We'll pool the questions
that arise during testing into an FAQ document. Test sites will probably
be deleted when testing ends, but special arrangements may be possible.

Thanks, Steve

--

Steve McMahon
Reid-McMahon, LLC