[DCN-TechOps] 7.10.07 Meeting

Robert Nickerson @ Omsoft omrob at omsoft.com
Thu Jul 12 15:23:13 PDT 2007

      DCN Techops Meeting
      Summer Quarterly Meeting
      July 10^th , 2007, 5:15PM
      Location: Sudwerk
      Attendees: Jack Crowell, Jon Lee, Robert Nickerson

1) UCD Fiber upgrade - completed and next steps

                  - UCD fiber transceiver installed and fiber link
                  activated at 10 Mbps half-duplex
                  - Upgrade of router hardware (Cisco 4700) to make this
                  100 Mbps full duplex

RN indicated the full cut over to a 10 Mbps fiber connection between the
DCN and UCD networks has been completed. However, the 10 year old Cisco
4700 router the fiber connection uses to get onto the DCN network needs
an upgrade as it limits the capabilities of the new fiber. Ideally we'd
like to get a 100 Mbps full duplex card in a newer Cisco router. JL
suggested a variety of models. Refurbished Cisco should be a more than
adequate funding solution and RN will look to sourcing that. It was
suggested by all that we look to UCD to see if they have anything “lying
around which could be used.”

      2) DCN/Omsoft Internet Connection UPGRADES

      - Recent upgrade of 12 to 30 Mbps on TransEdge DS-3
      - New DS3 coming online from XO communications

RN indicated that a new 18 Mbps of upstream IP transit through Transedge
is online at the DCN NOC. This DS3 now has 30 Mbps to the Internet. The
current OC3 connection through AT+T, also provisioned at 30 Mbps, will
not be increased due to some pretty unfair contract structuring. Any
upgrade ordered through AT+T resets that 5 year contract clock back to
0. New bandwidth is on 1 and 2 year contracts for price flexibility. RN
again inquired into the status of the payment for the DCN IP block with
ARIN. Perhaps thats a UCD expenditure. An additional 45 Mbps of IP is
coming online in 08.2007 through XO. RN will be able to BGP between
these circuits to create more network reliability. Discussions about the
long term use of AT+T should commence with interested board members.

      3) Inet fiber

      - Status? Do we need to do anything here?

                  JL indicated that the COD has solicited bids for
                  hardware requirements to join the INET. The management
                  seems to be well in hand with other parties. The
                  router hardware required to join the DCN network to
                  the INET should be no problem, and if needed the
                  committee can take up implementation onto the DCN
                  network.

      4) Volunteers?

      - I've heard lots of rumbling about more DCN volunteers. Does this
      committee need to prepare for an influx of new volunteers?

                  Some good brainstorming went into discussing the role
                  new volunteers could play on this committee, however
                  due to the lack of any DCN “movers and shakers”
                  present on this issue we decided to seek some board input.

      5) Webmail

                  - Rethinking the DCN webmail

Both JC and RN both indicated customer support issues with the DCN
webmail platform that we would like to consult with other committees on.
The availability of the webmail is leading to users utilizing the
webmail as their primary mail client. Since its based on IMAP users are
stacking up larger and larger inboxes creating more work for JC and more
user resentment regarding quota issues. Furthermore email only accounts
are not able to setup mail folders within webmail generating increased
tech support issues. JC and RN indicated some additional information
about using webmail and more education about its use would be a good
start. We all decided more input and discussion is needed with board
members.

Next Meeting: ???