[Dhsbb-jazz] Update on Hurricane Katrina Benefit Concert proceeds

dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org
Tue Nov 1 09:25:02 PST 2005

Update on Hurricane Katrina Benefit Concert proceeds:

The 160 leashes and collars everyone so generously donated were well
received at  the Best Friends Field Operations Animal shelter near
Tylertown in Mississippi, where I volunteered for 10 days. I worked
long days and slept in my rented van, but it was a great experience.

I was able to go to Bogalusa, Louisiana where I went to the high
school and met the principal and vice principal. They were thrilled
to be the recipients of the 366 CD's, 10 CD players and 2 radio/
cassette players. They have a student of the week program and they
are going to use them as incentive. Unfortunately their music program
was devastated. All their band instruments were in New Orleans for
repairs and tune-ups when the hurricane hit and they have not heard
about their condition or whereabouts. The music director's home was
destroyed so he had to move out of the area. It will be a while
before things return to normal. The boxes have been posted and they
will be received soon.They requested material about our event to put
on their web site and hopefully they will send pictures and we can
put them on our  band web page.

The Red Cross received $2,098 which has been added to the City of
Davis donation and turned into the Red Cross.

Thank you all for supporting this event- it was an overwhelming success!

Sally Borges
sallyraedvm at sbcglobal.net
phone: 753-2105