[Dhsbb-jazz] Re: Hurricane Relief Concert at Davis High School

dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org
Thu Oct 6 20:19:14 PDT 2005

The Hurricane Relief Concert (teenager to teenager) at Davis High School will take place on Saturday,  October 15th at the Performance Arts Building at 6:30 pm.

I am enclosing a flyer that you can print out and help publicize the event. The Davis Enterprise is doing some pre-publicity and will have an article within the next week about the event.

The concert features the DHS Jazz Band, Choir and Quintet. Also featured will be the 'J 'Street Jazz Cats and Sax by Popular Demand.

My original idea was to collect teenage clothing and send them to an overflow school in Baton Rouge. After speaking to many people both in Louisiana and in Davis, it turns out that they do not need clothes or food now. A local grassroots organization in Davis who have already driven several trucks into Louisiana have established links with two small towns there (Bogalusa, pop. 13,000 and Sun, pop. 480). Both these towns were completely devastated. Read the story at:
www.davisenterprise.com/articles/2005/09/17/news/106new0.txt

The teenagers there have requested new or used CDs radios/portable CD players,radios, etc. (batteries included!). So I have abandoned the idea of a clothes drive. Instead I'm requesting that every kid coming to the concert bring a CD or two along. Their parents can donate to the Red Cross. Also don't forget to bring along used or new pet leashes and collars. The Best Friends Shelter in Tylertown, Mississippi is still receiving many lost dogs and cats.

 I hope I can count on you to bring yours family and friends and make this a great night of jazz.

Thanks for your support,
Colin Borges

(530) 753-2105
jazzophone at sbcglobal.net

Donations

Any of the following:

·        New or used CD's, and/or portable radios/ CD players with batteries to donate to teenagers in 2 devastated small towns in Louisiana, Bogalusa (pop 13,000) and Sun (pop. 4800). Clothes and food are no longer needed.

·        Pet leashes & collars: Will be taken to Tylertown, Mississippi, Oct. 16th by a local veterinarian volunteering at the Best Friends Animal shelter.

·        Monetary donations to the Red Cross.  Suggested donations $10 or $20 per family.

·        Donations will also be accepted from 1 to 3pm at Da Vinci High School on Sunday, October 16th.