[Dhsbb-jazz] Capital Jazz Project concerts

dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org
Sun Feb 12 13:35:37 PST 2006

Hi DHS Band folks and friends-

  I am excited and happy to announce to you that the DHS Band Boosters is sponsoring a Capital Jazz Project concert at our very own IPAB Theater on
  Sunday, March 26 @ 7 pm.  This terrific professional jazz ensemble will present the Music of Charlie Parker with Strings, and will feature guest alto saxophonist, Andrew Speight from San Francisco, as well as a 12 piece string ensemble.

  Capital Jazz Project (CJP) is an ensemble of five highly talented professional jazz musicians, who are Artists-in-Residence and faculty of the Jazz Major program at American River College.  CJP members are also on staff at UCD and CSUS in the Departments of Music.

  CJP is a non-profit organization whose mission is "to create an atmoshere of respect for jazz as a high level art form, equal to classical music and other ethnic musics, and to present repertoire that is diverse and representative of the complete history of the genre."  CJP receives support from the CA Arts Council, the Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission, and the Sacramento Bee, and has released 3 CDs.

  Each year since its formation in 1997, CJP has given several self-produced, thematic concerts in the Sacramento area.  The concerts include vibrant performances of jazz compositions, interspersed with condensed, informative lessons in jazz history.  This year, their theme is A Season in Bebop, with separate concerts featuring the music of Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, and Charlie Parker.

  On Sunday, Feb. 19 @ 7 pm, CJP will present Tempus Fugit: the Genius of Bud Powell, the Father of Modern Jazz Piano @ CSUSacramento's Capistrano Hall
  (6000 J Street, Sacramento).  Tickets: $12 General/ $8 Students and Seniors.

  We look forward to hosting the Capital Jazz Project on March 26 here in Davis.  Our DHS band students are invited to observe an open rehearsal of the performing musicians during the afternoon of the concert.  CJP members are also planning to work with the DHS Jazz Band during two practice sessions in March.

  DHS Band Boosters are proud to sponsor the efforts of these music educators, and hope you will support this community cultural enrichment by coming to the concert at the IPAB Theater on Sun., March 26 @ 7 pm.

  Peace,
  Doreen Conte
  DHS Band Booster president