[Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Jazz Band made us all proud at Monterey and RenoJazzFestivals

DHS Band Boosters - Jazz Band dhsbb-jazz at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed May 3 16:33:04 PDT 2006

Doreen, thanks for this and all the GREAT work you do for the music
programs at DHS.
You are a community treasure!
John

CONFIDENTIAL OR PRIVILEGED:  This communication contains information intended only for the use of the
individuals to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or exempt from other disclosure under applicable
law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
disclosure, printing, copying, distribution or use of the contents is
prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone or by returning it by reply email and then
permanently deleting the communication from your system. Thank you.

DHS Band Boosters - Jazz Band <dhsbb-jazz at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us>
Sent by: dhsbb-jazz-bounces at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
05/03/2006 02:49 PM
Please respond to dhsbb-jazz

        To:     ConcertBand Listserv <dhsbb-concert at mailman.dcn.org>, SymphonicBand
Listserv <dhsbb-symph at mailman.dcn.org>, JazzBand Listerv
<dhsbb-jazz at mailman.dcn.org>, Listserv DHSBand Alumni
<dhsbb-friends at mailman.dcn.org>, Fred Lange <fllange at dcn.davis.ca.us>
        cc:
        Subject:        [Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Jazz Band made us all proud at Monterey and RenoJazz
Festivals

Dear DHS Band Community-

Just want to fill you in (and boast a bit) about our Jazz Band's
performances over the past two weekends.

Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival (Apr 21-23)
DHS was one of 12 high school jazz bands chosen from over 100 auditioning
bands from around the U.S. to participate in this festival.  The big band
played with great skill, energy, and joy, and placed third.  DHS was the
top California band in the festival.
Morgan Jones, our lead alto sax player, received the outstanding soloist
award for the entire festival!
The DHS Jazz Combo I (Morgan Jones, David O'Keefe, Sam Dickey, Chris
Stansell)was among six finalists in the small ensemble competition.
Morgan Jones (sax) and Sam Dickey (guitar) were selected for the Monterey
Festival's HS All-Star Band, which will tour through NY City, Croatia, and
Italy this summer.  The ensemble will also perform on the main stage of
the Monterey Jazz Festival in September.
Congratulations to all our JB members and to Mr Lange!

Reno Jazz Festival @ Univ of Nevada, Reno (Apr 27-29)
This was a huge festival with over 300 groups participating in the junior
high, high school, 2-year college, and 4-year college divisions for big
bands, combos, and vocal jazz ensembles.
The DHS Big Band again performed brilliantly and was rewarded with a first
place finish in their division.
Combo I finished second in their division, and Combo II (Sterling Carlton,
Benny Amon, Alex Reiff, Tyler Chuck) performed a creative and
sophisticated set.  Both the combos and the big band received great
reviews from their adjudicators.
Congratulations to all!

But wait, there's more!
Sam Dickey won the festival's award for best original composition for a
small ensemble.
Sam Dickey and Morgan Jones were selected for the festival's All-Star high
school combo, which performed at the huge festival awards
ceremony/concert.

Still more: Morgan Jones received the festival's award for top high school
sax player!

Now you see why I had to boast!
Thank you to all the band parents who helped plan, chaperone, drive, haul
equipment, feed, and cheer for our band at the festivals.  You are a
wonderful group of people!!!
Peace,
Doreen
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates._______________________________________________