[Dhsbb-jazz] Update on New Orleans Trip: Request for Feedback on Proposed Dates

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 14:18:31 PDT 2007

      Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  I promised everyone an update on the New Orleans trip and options for dates.

  As you know, the School Board denied our request to go April 25 – 27, due to conflicts with STAR testing.  The following weekend (May 2 – 4) is problematic because it is one week closer to the Victoria trip, plusAP testing begins May 5.

  Bill Zinn wants to have the Jazz Choir perform in an adjudicated session, which would be good for the Jazz Band as well.  We can do this by participating in the Heritage Festival (a programmed festival for middle school and high school groups) and/or by arranging special sessions with Jazz faculty at the University of New Orleans (I’ve been investigating this with one of their faculty members, trying to set up interactive workshops and possible performances).

  We have two proposed dates for the trip:  April 10 – 13, and April 17 – 20. The Heritage Festival is held either of these weekends.  Pros and cones of each weekend are below:

  April 10 – 13:

  Pros: enables us to attend the French Quarter Jazz Festival, with approximately 160 groups playing (literally on the streets) throughout the French Quarter. We can most likely participate in the adjudicated Heritage Festival.

  Cons: conflicts with Symphonic and Jazz Band auditions (week of April 7 – 11), which Fred is willing to move if necessary (be sure to thank Fred!).  Not clear if the outdoor venues where we’ve played in the past will already be taken by the Festival.  I’m investigating whether University of New Orleans faculty will be more or less available during this weekend.

  April 17 – 20:

  Pros: a “quieter” weekend in New Orleans, which MAY mean that University  of New Orleans faculty are more available (I’ve asked, but don’t know yet). We can most likely participate in the adjudicated Heritage Festival.

  Cons: everything we do this weekend will be up to us to organize.  There are no public jazz festivals other than the music that goes on anyway.  Also some problems with Fred’s schedule, but he is willing to accommodate if necessary (did I mention
be sure to thank Fred!).

  Are there any major issues that should be taken into account regarding these dates for our trip?  Note: we may not be able to accommodate everyone’s concerns among Jazz Band and Jazz Choir parents, but we’ll try.  Please let me know as soon as you can.  Jazz Choir parents are meeting next Wednesday and we should be ready to decide.  I apologize for the short notice, but it was only yesterday that we were able to get the feedback enabling us to target these two weekends.

  Finally, my contact at the University of New Orleans will be playing the Mondavi on November 2, so be sure to see them!

  Peter Matlock
  matlockpeter at yahoo.com
  530-792-7122