[Dhsbb-jazz] New Orleans Trip Update

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 22:14:53 PDT 2007

Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  After much investigation and coordination, the Jazz Band trip to New Orleans is the weekend of April 10 - 13 (Thursday - Sunday), 2008.

  The Jazz Band will be going with the Jazz Choir, making this the first time we have done a combined, jazz-oriented trip.  In another first, we are investigating with Music Faculty at the University of New Orleans to schedule workshops and performances for both groups.  This will provide an additional educational component to the trip.

  This weekend coincides with the French Quarter Jazz Festival, which is a free festival featuring hundreds of performances on the streets throughout the French Quarter.  It is the second biggest jazz festival in New Orleans, and one recommended by our local contacts as being a wonderful event.  Last year's schedule can be viewed at: http://fqfi.org/pdf/FQF07-printfriendSchedule.pdf.

  Please thank Barbara Duffy for volunteering to be the New Orleans trip coordinator.  She is seeking a few volunteers at this time to help put the trip together.  In particular, she needs someone to investigate instrument transportation.  Other volunteers will be requested as needed and as we get closer.

  Additional activities that are planned for this trip include a swamp tour, New Orleans tour (including the devastated areas and traditional local culture) and--if possible--a trip to Cajun country.  We are also looking into a way to donate to the local community.

  Finally--our initial contact with the University of New Orleans is Mr. Victor Atkins, who is on the faculty and played piano with Delfeayo Marsalis last spring at the Mondavi.  Mr. Atkins  returns to the Mondavi this Friday night (November 2) at 8:00 PM to perform with the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra.  This promises to be a great concert and is an opportunity to show our thanks by filling the house!  So, be sure to consider this concert in your plans for Friday evening.

  Barbara Duffy
  Peter Matlock

http://mail.yahoo.com