[Dhsbb-jazz] Instruments on Southwest airlines

Choy Family cjchoy at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 8 23:15:18 PDT 2008

  Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  There is a lot of concern about whether instruments can be carried on board our Southwest flights.  Southwest's rules on carry-on bags are copied at the end of this email, but the most important Southwest statement is carry-on luggage size not being greater than 10x16x24 inches.  This means the trombones and tenor saxes may very well have problems as carry-on luggage.  For those of you who have these instruments, be ready to quickly pack your instrument for check-in luggage.

  We suspect no-one wants to check their instrument, but it may be inevitable for the larger instruments.  Some suggestions:

  1.  Pack your instrument as if it will be checked.  Guidelines can be found at:

  http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-best-way-to-travel-with-a-musical-instrument.htm

  and, for trombones, at:

  http://yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/travel.html

  Having tape available to cover the latches is advised.  Some people reportedly have their instrument inspected and then wrap the case with many, many layers of cellophone before checking it.

  2.  If you want to try and carry your instrument on the plane, carry the minimal amount possible of other carry-on bags.  Check a suitcase with your clothes, and carry no more than a small bag/backpack.  The airlines are worried about the total amount of space we occupy in their storage bins, so if we want our instruments to have priority then as much else as possible should be checked.

  3.  Even if you try to carry your instrument on board, be prepared in case it must be checked.

  4.  Consider a rider on your insurance policy.

  5.  We've heard that airline insurance may not cover damage to a checked instrument unless it is in a hard case.

  Thanks to Tenaya Natov, Sam Yang and Robert Matlock for their research into this issue.  However, recognize that the gate personnel have the final say, and there can be substantial variance in how they respond to allowing instruments on board.

  Mike Choy and Peter Matlock

    Carryon Baggage  In keeping with new security directives from the TSA, strict limitations are being imposed on carryon items.

   Airline passengers may now carry only one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item onboard the airplane.
   Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included).
   Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches.
   All Customers and Employees and their items are subject to a thorough, physical search.
   The following items are not considered carryon bags or personal-type items and are not counted against the “one-bag plus one personal-type item” limit:
      A child restraint device for a child who has been ticketed, who has a seat reserved, or for which complimentary, available space exists.
      Assistive/mobility devices for individuals with a disability. There is no limit to the number of assistive/mobility devices a Customer can bring onboard the aircraft.
      Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.
      Food for consumption during flight contained in disposable packaging.
      Walking canes or umbrellas.

   Please see the TSA's web site for a list of allowable carryon items.