[Dhsbb-jazz] Fw: SOM! update

J. Hamaguchi jhamaguchi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 08:08:25 PDT 2008

Fellow friends of the Davis schools music program,

We are entering the last stretch of the Save Our Music fundraising goal of $200K to 1) reinstate the Davis elementary music program and 2) the secondary music teachers who have received pink slips.

On the Save Our Music website, http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma, you can see that we have $95K in the bank, with several thousand to be deposited very soon.  We will be surpassing $100K in the next few days.

About 25% of the music families in Davis public schools have donated so far.  We sincerely thank those families.   We hope that those of you who have not donated -- the remaining 75% of the music families -- can contribute something to help reach the second $100K.  Please contribute!  Any amount (even modest amounts) will count.  We want to announce to the district that as many as a 1000 families made contributions in support of the music program.  This is a realistic goal if you know that 1900 kids participate in the Davis music program.  It gives the administration a signal that this is something that has strong support and should be continued and preserved in the public schools.

Please make a contribution!  Contribution information is at http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma.  We must have the money in the bank with checks cleared by May 15th so please do this today!

Hiram Jackson
(SOM) Save Our Music Committee

Other ways to GIVE:

1)  The Estate Jewelry Sale is underway at De Luna Jewelers through Mother's Day weekend.  Photos have been added to the list of items at:
http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma/estate-jewelry-sale-benefit

2)  There is also still time to donate items to the eBay Auction.  The Auction Coordinator at egclubb at pacbell.net can arrange pick up and delivery of your donations.  You will also receive a tax receipt for the sale price of the items when the auction is concluded.  The last day to donate items to the eBay Auction is April 30, and the next scheduled pick up is this Saturday, April 26--ALL DAY.  We are happy to have last-minute requests for pick up.  For auction instructions, go to:
http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma/ebay-auction-donation-instructions
For donor inventory forms go to:
  http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma/forms-and-documents/SOM-AuctionDonorForm-Flyer.pdf

Thank you for your support!

3)  Wine tasting Event this Sunday, May 4th:  Enjoy a few hours at Osteria Fasulo, with appetizers by master chef Leonardo Fasulo, wines from the exclusive Satyr's Pond and the Morrison Family Wineries, and music from a selection of our students' small ensembles.

5:30 to 7:30 p.m.  on Sunday,May 4th 2008

Osteria Fasulo, 2657 Portage Bay in West Davis.

A donation of $35 will reserve your space.  Space is limited, so please contact Betsy Elzufon or Harper Band parent Mary MacDonald soon:

Betsy Elzufon

753-7679 (betsye at lwa.com)

3708 Miwok Place

Davis, CA 95618

Mary MacDonald

750-2402 (mfilet at comcast.net)

Checks should be made out to DSOMA-SOM.  Please include your name, address and phone number with your donation.

Questions?:  753-7679 or betsye at lwa.com

4)  Holmes car wash on Saturday, May 3rd to benefit the DSOMA Save-Our-Music campaign; 9 am 1 pm at the DJUSD Parking Lot (5th and C Street)