[Dhsbb-jazz] Measure W Phone Banking Request for Band Boosters

Michael Hulsizer mihulsizer at kern.org
Wed Aug 27 09:21:29 PDT 2008

** High Priority **

Requesting Your Help as a Measure W Phone Bank Volunteer:

Last spring, the Davis Joint Unified School District (DJUSD) Board of Education was forced to consider making $2.8 million in reductions to educational programs in order to balance the school district budget.  The Davis community responded by raising $1.5 million to restore elementary music and science programs, school librarians, and secondary course offerings and class size reduction.  Lay-off notices were rescinded and we all breathed a huge sigh of relief.

However, the work is not done.  While the fund-raising efforts in our community restored these programs for the 2008-09 school year only, the DJUSD Board of Education responded to requests for a more stable funding source for the above programs and services by approving a parcel tax measure for the November ballot.  Attached you will find background information on Measure W. In addition, information on Measure W is available: http://www.djusd.net/district/measurew

Measure W requires two thirds approval by Davis voters in the November General Election. I am writing to request your assistance in getting the word out about the importance of voting YES on Measure W, by volunteering as a phone bank worker. The Measure W campaign has booked phone banks, starting on Monday, September 1 from 5:40-8:30 PM. Parents of DJUSD band students are being asked to volunteer to make the important calls to Davis voters each Monday through November 3, starting Monday, September 1. As a parent of a student who has benefitted tremendously from the outstanding music program provided by the Davis JUSD, I have agreed to coordinate the phone bank volunteer effort for the DJUSD band community.

At the September 10 Band Boosters meeting we will be discussing Measure W and the variety of ways band boosters can make a difference in the campaign. In the meantime, I am asking  that you consider volunteering your time for 2-3 hours on a Monday evening to help communicate the importance of Measure W to our DJUSD band programs.

If you are able to volunteer your time as a phone bank worker, please reply to this e-mail with specific dates (Monday's preferred) and times that you are available, beginning September 1. I will provide a confirmation e-mail to all volunteers with specific times and locations for all volunteers to report.

I look forward to your response and to making these early and vitally important calls. Thanks for considering this request. It will take all of us working together to make this happen!

Michael Hulsizer

--
This message was scanned by KCSOS and is believed to be clean.