[Dhsbb-jazz] San Diego Trip Information

JazzyHorns at aol.com JazzyHorns at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 11:03:48 PST 2008

Hopefully you have all seen this blue trip letter that your student brought
home on Tuesday.  Just in case you didn't - there are some important dates
coming up in January, so take note:

DHS  BANDS
2009 SAN  DIEGO SPRING TOUR
Fri.  May 15 – Tues. May 19

Dear Band Parents:
                                Nov. 17, 2008
The San Diego Trip committee is  already hard at work putting together a
wonderful trip for the band students.  All students are encouraged to participate
in this educational and memorable  music experience.  The group will  travel
by bus with parent chaperones and will stay at the Embassy Suites Hotel  in La
Jolla.  The students will have various  performance, competition and master
class opportunities during the trip.  We will also visit local sites such as
Sea World, the USS Midway, and one or more universities during our tour.
Depending on final costs we may be able  to visit the San Diego Zoo or other
attractions as well during our stay.  The trip will include all breakfasts and  some
dinners.  Additional spending  money for meals and personal purchases will be
necessary.  The students will have some free time on  their own, but
chaperones are always available, and strategically “stationed”  during free time
periods to offer “non-invasive” supervision at all times.    Study times at the
hotel are  available each evening for any student wishing to study.
All STAR and AP testing will be completed  before the trip.  Currently we are
 planning to leave after school on Fri. May 15th which is the last day  of AP
tests.  Depending on band  students scheduled for afternoon tests that day,
we may decide to leave just  after lunch if no students will be impacted by the
testing schedule.    The following is a preliminary  overview of the planned
venues/activities.  Please note that all venues and activities are still being
finalized and  this itinerary is subject to change many times before the
trip!
Preliminary Sample  Itinerary
Fri. May 15                                Depart DHS immediately after
school
Stop for dinner along the way
Arrive by midnight in La Jolla
Sat. May 16                              Full breakfast provided at hotel
Music in the Parks Festival, Sea World
Dinner at Sea World
Supervised hotel free time, study and swim
Sun. May 17                              Full breakfast provided at hotel
Morning activity and/or performance
1 p.m. concert on the USS  Midway*
Tour Midway
Dinner and evening activity
Supervised hotel free time, study and/or swim
Mon. May 18                             Full breakfast provided at hotel
Activity or performance
Leave for master’s clinics at University of San  Diego*
Tour Music Department and Campus
Farewell Pizza Dinner and  Party
Supervised hotel free time, study and swim
Tues May 19                             Full breakfast provided at hotel
Early departure for home
Possible tour and lunch at major university en  route
Return to DHS by 8 or 9 p.m.
* Performance Venues have not yet  been finalized.
Trip Cost
The final costs of the trip will be  determined over the next few months as
venues and activities are firmed up.  Travel costs have risen dramatically
recently, but we will do everything we can to keep the costs as reasonable as
possible.  The total cost for the  trip will likely be between $475 and $550 per
student.    Payments will be made in 3  installments, starting in mid
January.   Every student who wishes to attend  this trip will be able to.  Financial
assistance is available but you must contact Mr. Lange  directly, well in
advance.  Band  Boosters has allocated funds for student assistance, and all
requests will be  strictly confidential, between Mr. Lange and the family only.
Please discuss your situation with Mr.  Lange before the first payment in
January, so that Band Boosters can  appropriately budget all costs into our trip
planning.
Fundraising  Opportunities
Students have already begun adding  to their individual band accounts from
the fall fundraisers – car washes,  Natsoulas Festival raffle, and Entertainment
Book sales.  Upcoming fundraising opportunities  include the holiday Rent a
Band ensembles, Play-a-thon in January and Coconut  Grove in February.  Your
student can  significantly “buy down” the cost of their trip by participating
in these  fundraisers.
Payment  Schedule:
Jan 16:  $250 trip deposit due.   This deposit is non-refundable,  since we
will be using the funds collected in January to pay the bill for the  hotel
immediately.  We realize that finances are difficult for many families
especially just after the holidays, but we need our final count for hotel  rooms by
February 1st, so you must sign up and send a deposit to secure a spot  for your
child.
March 6:  2nd payment due -  $150.
April date TBD:  Final payment will be calculated individually for  each
student.  It will depend on the  final trip cost, less any money the student has
earned in their individual band  account.  If your student has earned  more
than is required for the final payment, then you will be notified and  reimbursed
for any previous overpayments.
Please look for an official sign up  form and payment coupon which will be
distributed just after winter break in  January.
We sincerely hope that all band  students will sign up for the Spring Tour.
There is nothing that helps to unify a group like touring and sharing  music
together.  If you have any  questions regarding the trip please feel free to
contact me or Mr. Lange for  clarification.
Katie Horn
Trip  Coordinator
758-2528
jazzyhorns at aol.com