[Dhsbb-jazz] A call for support

Fredrick Lange fllange at dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Feb 19 17:19:22 PST 2008

Dear band parent or friend

As you are all probably aware, due to a financial shortfall in funds,
our school district finds itself in a deficit for the coming school
year.  In order to balance the budget they are proposing some drastic
cuts in services and programs for the coming year, including the
elimination of the elementary band and string programs.

With your child now in high school this may not directly affect you
now, but  I'm sure you can see that this will affect the quality of
life for many younger students in this town.

I have been asked to forward the letter below to all members of the
Davis High School Band Boosters.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT THE GROUP ACTION SUGGESTED IN THIS LETTER.
MAKE YOUR FEELINGS KNOWN AND HELP US TO PROTECT THIS MOST VALUABLE
PORTION OF EVERY CHILD'S EDUCATION.

Fred Lange

************************

Fellow Davis music parents and students,

As many of you know, the school district is proposing to cut $4
million in order to balance its budget for next school year.  Among
the proposed cuts is the elimination of the elementary instrumental
music program (strings and band for grades 4-6) valued at $200,000.

The school board is scheduled to discuss this and other proposed cuts
on Thursday, February 21 at 7 p.m. in the city council chambers at 23
Russell Blvd. (corner of 5th and A).  PLEASE CONSIDER ATTENDING THE
MEETING, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.   It is likely that they will only
entertain *discussion* on the cuts, but will vote at a later
meeting.  We ask that all attendees supporting the Davis schools
music program wear a paper 1/8th note in order that the school board
members and district officials can identify us.  You can either
download and cut out the 1/8th note here:

http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma/images/EighthNote.jpg

or you can pick one up in person at the school board meeting.

We invite all interested persons to attend, but in particular anyone
directly connected (parent, student) with the Davis music programs
(band, orchestra, choir).

IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE SCHOOL BOARD MEETING, we ask that you
send an e-mail to school board members, or write a letter to the
editor in the Davis Enterprise and describe why you think the
elementary music program is important.  Please keep your comments
positive about the program.  It is not helpful to be speaking
negatively about any other programs.

Click here to get links to school board member e-mail addresses and
to submit letters to the editor at the Davis Enterprise:

http://groups.dcn.org/dsoma/forms-and-documents/DavisMusicAdvocacy.html

If the school music program were only about learning music, I could
begin to accept this as part of normal fiscal responsibility.  But
it's not just about the music, and that is where a lot of
misunderstanding occurs.

As a parent, I see that my kids have found the district music program
to be a safe community of peers where they can form friendships and
work together as a group during the school day.  There is no other
program in the district that is as large and as comprehensive in
setting these values of community, cooperation, and teamwork.

If the district eliminates the elementary music program, it will
severely degrade size and quality of the secondary music program.
Concert bands, jazz bands, orchestras, even choirs will not be able
to sustain the level collective music experience that is offered by
an introduction to music through the elementary instrumental music
program.  The elementary instrumental music program forms the roots
of the secondary music program.  Our currently growing musical
community will shrink in size without those roots.

If school board members don't see how valuable this program is to the
Davis community, then it will probably be deemed unimportant enough
to cut.

We thank you in advance for your support.

Hiram Jackson
Advocacy Coordinator
Davis Schools Orchestral Music Association