[Dhsbb-jazz] Coconut Grove Student Volunteers Needed

Michael Coleman coleman at cal.net
Wed Feb 20 07:11:59 PST 2008

>From Paula Yang:

Coconut Grove, the DHS band booster's fundraiser of the season is upon us. coming up quickly this Saturday evening.  We had an amazing response to the request for adult decorators as well as dessert makers.  The efforts we parents put into baking directly benefits the band program and the effort the kids make in helping out with the decorations as well as serving and cleaning up directly benefits each of them by way of reducing the amount of money they will end up paying for their band trip or trips.

There have been sign up sheets in the band room for 2 weeks.  We have not gotten a very good response from the students.  Their response may be due to several things in any one kid's life which would account for the overall apathetic response from them.  I am requesting that the parents now consider encouraging your band student to get involved with this effort- especially decorating, serving and cleaning up.  It directly benefits them financially and as well it could be said that involvement with putting this on brings many additional benefits.

My son helped for hours last year.  He got to know kids and parents whom he did not know before and had a greater appreciation of the hard work which goes into putting a function on.  He also paid for much of his trip because of his hard work.  For his parents, not having to write a large check for the band trip came as a relief.  My son was very proud that he had helped and we commended him for working to help both put on Coconut Grove but also for helping pay for his trip.

So please know that we do need more students especially Friday afternoon from 3:30 till around 7pm. This is when most of the work will be completed.  We will serve pizza around 6pm for those who have been there working.  The kids do not need to be there the whole time but it would be great to have lots of them involved.we parents need their help!

Please note that the sign-up sheets will be up until Thursday Feb 21st.  Also, remind your student to sign in and sign out when he or she does come to the MPR to work.

Also, there will be close adult supervision for overall safety as well as to promote an excellent and efficient job gets done!

My cell phone will be on and you may contact me while your student is there if need be.  (757-9264)

Thank you!

Paula Yang plyang at comcast.net