[Dhsbb-jazz] Folsom Jazz Festival Details

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 16:19:23 PST 2008

Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  The DHS Jazz Band is performing/competing at the Folsom Jazz Festival this Friday evening, January 25 and the Combo is performing/competing on Saturday morning, January 26.

  Every student must have a completed permission slip (attached).  Transportation will be by private automobile.  If you can drive additional students then please fill out the carpool form (attached) and bring it--with a copy of your automobile insurance--to the Band Room on Friday.

We still need someone to coordinate carpools.  Otherwise we're counting on lots of parents to come on Friday with completed forms (including insurance cards) and it will have to come together at the last minute.

  SCHEDULE:

  All band students are to meet in the Band Room at 5:00 PM on Friday, January 25.  We leave at 5:15 PM to drive to Folsom High School.  Directions are:

  http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&qc=Schools+%28K-12%29&cl=EN&qq=21LTZ%252flnQEM%252by%252bIW%252fBAnRK03DlbR4%252f8FT%252bRQk2%252bXI6xbT%252fVMRvsM8CvGXVk0ENmy18GajsYscJHufqW7sL6TNlk%252f%252bUeM4UYv2sE9MQwLzV7ABWjrk9rRl3VfRYB8JC9OSCWyl%252bQHC8UUbZFjM46y%252f87ebbHdRxWIytJ%252fR5ikEOU%252bQLimTRRXLbyR3m40%252brIqoZQmkWrzc3HzzjN9TaorOEaFr5Y%252f5PDHUUvXXMA2fxn%252fxIUUaMsB1jh8b88h3nSB6h%252bvoRRuLPJa%252bBnKB6Ujeh7qMJ9a0kvvZP1yiiekV0e276rcdJfM9NEQeLuD6Zfr6mGpCDhbJaGHd%252fZD2Ty%252byr6zihzd8yQJUPQnO1NtpUvWpSO3geZi4FPSfqdKRcTg%252fnxJhrll8GFwi1DXKeGH9A%253d%253d&ct=NA&q=folsom+high+school&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=315+W.+14th+street&1c=davis&1s=ca&1z=&panelbtn=1&2y=US&2ffi=1&2l=1cZVX8gzSdobgQHW2UN2bQ%253d%253d&2g=vklTYUsV05%252fVfSrpDDvbRQ%253d%253d&2pl=916-355-1115&2v=ADDRESS&2n=&2pn=Folsom+High+School&2a=1655+Iron+Point+Rd&2c=Folsom&2s=CA&2z=95630

  See the attached information sheet (PDF) for parking.  The main parking lot can be entered from Prairie City Road.  Additional parking is available from Iron Point Road.

  We are leaving early because Friday afternoon traffic can be extraordinarily slow heading east on I-80 and Rte 50.  Upon arrival we will obtain and distribute wrist bands for all student performers.

  The Jazz Band performs Friday night at 8:05 PM in the Folsom High Theatre (#18 on the attached map).  Warm-up is at 7:40 PM in the Gym (#11 on the map).

  Solo awards will be given out immediately after the performance (stay seated), and then all students will go to a clinic (#19 on the map).

  There is an awards ceremony at 10:00 PM on Friday, but it is not clear how this relates to the overall competition.  Most groups are performing on Saturday, so overall winners will not be announced until then.  Call-backs on Saturday will be based on overall scores regardless of division, but we will not be participating in call-backs this year because we will be having Play-a-Thon!

  The Combo is asked to arrange their own transportation (please be sure to have all forms filled out and carried with you, including carpool forms!).  The combo performs at 8:25 AM on Saturday in the "Tent Cafe" (#13 on the map).  Combo warm-up, performance and clinic are all to be included within your allocated 25 minutes and will all occur in the Tent Cafe.  The combo is requested to play no more than 15 minutes.

  EQUIPMENT:

  The Big Band must bring the entire Hi-Hat, stand, cymbals, throne, drum pedal.  Guitar players must bring their own amp.  There will be no amps or drums in the warm-up rooms for Big Band.

  Instructions for the Combo say that the entire Hi-Hat, stand, clutch, cymbals, throne, bass drum pedal and 2 cymbal stands are provided, with explicit instructions that "you cannot use your own drum set!"

  Vibes or "other misc. instruments" are not provided.

  ADMISSION PRICE:

  Student performers are already paid.  Parents and chaperones must pay $5.00 for Friday only or $10.00 for both Friday and Saturday.

  ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCES:

  On Saturday the following will be performing:

  Sac State Jazz Ensemble:  12:15 - 1:00 PM, Theatre
  Sac State Faculty Jazz Sextet:  7:10 - 8:00 PM, Multi-Purpose Room
  Sac State Jazz Singers & C-SUS: 12:15 - 1:00 PM Library

  Plus--most of the HS groups against whom we normally compete (Folsom, Rio Americano, Berkelely, etc.) will be playing throughout the day on Saturday.

  CLINICS:

  There will be numerous clinics for specific instruments on Saturday from 1:00 to 1:30 PM (sax, trumpet, trombone, vocal, piano, bass, drums, guitar).  Let me know if you need more info.

  FOOD:

  Numerous food vendors will be on-site selling food.

DVDs, PICTURES:

The attached information sheet has an order form if you want a DVD of the performance.  There is also an opportunity to buy still pictures.  If anyone wants these and is interested in coordinating sales of the group picture then please let me know.

Thanks,

  Peter