[Dhsbb-jazz] District Budget Reduction and Next Week's Concert

Choy Family cjchoy at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 17 00:12:38 PDT 2008

Jennifer,
  Sorry I just read this email tonight.  I think it would be great if you talk to the audience about the importance of preserving our music program and how this is going to require money.  I also think it would be much better if you do the talking since you have been involved and will have information most of us do not have.  I do not know who of our group can help you at the table, but I am going to send this email to the Jazz band list serve and our concert coordinator.
  Thank you for putting in so much time to preserve our Davis school music program.

  Dahlia,
  Would you be able to find any parents to help at the table?

  Jazz Band parent,
  Would any of you be willing to help Jennifer?

  Thanks everybody,
  Mike Choy

Jennifer Decker <jenny at outdoorkids.com> wrote:
  Hi Mike. I have spent quite a bit of time over the past few weeks
working with the music teachers in Davis on the District's budget
problem -- many nights until 1 am and too many emails to count! The
music teachers support the need to fundraise and the DSF's efforts to
bridge the budget gap. As part of this effort, someone needs to speak
at as many upcoming concerts as possible regarding the budget situation
and seek donations. Mr. Lange asked me to do this at next week's band
concert. If you or another Band Booster would prefer to make the pitch
for fundraising just as the concert begins, let me know and we can go
through what and how it needs to be said. If not, I will gladly accept
Mr. Lange's request and talk to the audience for just a couple of
minutes. My thought is I will also be at a table in the foyer before
the concert begins (until I have to speak), during intermission and
afterwards with "Save Music" kind of signs and pens for people to write
checks. However, I need at least 1 other parent -- preferably 2 more --
to help me at the table. We need to hand out fliers, explain the budget
situation, how music will be affected and answer questions about the
funds. We'll accept checks for DSF and music specifically. Do you know
a couple of persuasive parents who could help me at the table? If you
want to talk over the weekend, my cell phone is 574-0335. There is a
lot of information to convey, and things are moving pretty fast due to
the budget deadlines and pink slips. Call me if you have a few minutes
and I can fill you in if you would like. Thanks much in advance!
Jenny Decker, Anna Hiller's Mom
(10th Concert Band; Holmes Junior High Band Booster/Foundation Liason &
Willett Elementary Foundation Liason)