[Dhsbb-jazz] Monterey NGF Schedule

Peter Matlock matlockpeter at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 23:07:44 PDT 2008

Dear Jazz Band Parents,

  Details for this weekend's Next Generation Festival in Monterey:

  FRIDAY:

  Planned departure time is immediately after school.  There are no excused absences from classes unless you individually decide to excuse your student.

  Transportation has been addressed in other emails.

  Concerts Friday night are listed at:

  http://www.montereyjazzfestival.org/NGF/schedule08.htm

  Mr. Lange expects students to attend the 8:30 Christian McBride (Golden State Theater) and 10:00 Berklee Latin Jazz (Monterey Live Jazz Club) concerts.  To my knowledge these are free events.  Mr. Lange cautions that seating is limited at these concerts, and students are recommended to arrive at 6:45 at the Golden State Theater to be sure we have seats for Christian McBride (there is a 7:15 warm-up concert).

  Given driving times from Davis, this means pretty much arriving in Monterey and going straight to the venues--plan food accordingly.

  Hotel: I will be checking us in, obtaining room keys and distributing them to chaperones so they can get keys to each student.  Specifics on these logistics will come after they're worked out with the chaperones.

  Lights out:  Midnight.  Chaperones will check each room.

  SATURDAY:

  Mr. Lange expects students to attend as many concerts and clinics as possible.  High School Band competitions begin at 9:00 AM in the Serra Ballroom.  Be sure the students are there to listen!

  Lesli Chuck investigated options for the group to get together at some point and suggests the following for those who would like to do so:

  For lunch on Saturday, meet on the wharf at 11:30 to beat the lunch
crowd. We can split into smaller groups, as no place can accommodate
our large group.  Take your pick of restaurants...

http://www.montereywharf.com/dining.htm

Note that students will have to check out of the hotel in the morning, and will either need to make arrangements with parents for their stuff or carry it with them through the day.

  Clinics are at 11:00 (Berklee Latin Jazz) and 2:00 (Christian McBride).  Mr. Lange wants students to attend the Christian McBride clinic for sure, even though they will have to leave early to be at the 2:30 PM warm-up in the DeAnza Ballroom.

  DHS Jazz Band performs at 3:00 PM in the Serra Ballroom.

  There are special performances in the Serra Ballroom at 5:00 PM, with Big Band awards at 6:15 PM.

  Peter