[Dhsbb-jazz] Fw: Delta Jazz Festival: December 6, 2008

J. Hamaguchi jhamaguchi at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 12:56:54 PST 2008

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Peter Matlock <matlockpeter at yahoo.com>
To: Joyce Hamaguchi <jhamaguchi at sbcglobal.net>
Cc: Fred Lange <fllange at dcn.davis.ca.us>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:44:37 PM
Subject: Delta Jazz Festival: December 6, 2008  [Please post to Jazz Band Listserve]

Dear Jazz Band Parents,

Below please find as much information as I can provide at this time regarding the Delta Jazz Festival this coming Saturday (December 6, 2008) at Delta College in Stockton, CA.

I can only provide limited information, and I desperately need someone to arrange carpools this Saturday.  I have spent the last several weeks on the East Coast with my Mother, who passed away last week.  I have only limited internet access and may not even return to California before this Saturday, so must rely on someone else to coordinate carpools.

If you can volunteer to help with carpools please contact me at matlockpeter at yahoo.com  or 530-867-1651, or Mr. Lange.

With this email, I have attached the following:

1.  Trip permission forms, which must be completed and signed for EACH student, and returned to Mr. Lange;

2. Carpool driver forms, which must be completed by each carpool driver, along with a copy of the driver’s auto insurance card—these must be given to the carpool coordinator.
These forms are updated from last year’s forms, and I assume they are still valid.

The DHS Jazz Band and combo will both be performing at the Delta Jazz Festival on Saturday, December 6.  The Band warms up at 3:00 PM for a 3:30 PM performance.  The combo must be there earlier than 10:30 AM to prepare for their 10:55 AM performance, and all students are expected to be at Delta College by 10:00 AM to hear the combo perform.

The combo should leave Davis no later than 8:45 AM (8:30 is better).  All other Band members should meet in the DHS Band Room at 8:30 AM to meet with Mr. Lange and connect with your carpool/driver, for a departure no later than 9:00 AM.

Those students taking SAT's in the morning should plan to arrive at Delta College no later than 2:00 PM.

All students are encouraged to bring a bag lunch, as snack facilities at the college are limited.

Once the Jazz Band performance is complete, students are free to return to Davis, as the awards ceremony is optional and the Junior Prom is the same evening.  There is an evening concert (see link below).

Please be prepared for revisions to this information to be provided by Mr. Lange.

Students will receive a wrist band for entry to school group performances, a noon concert and the clinics (1:00 for drums and piano; 2:30 for sax and bass).  Parents and chaperones need to buy an admission pass at the box office ($10).

Tickets for the evening Poncho Sanchez performance cost $25 - $35:

http://www.deltacollege.edu/div/finearts/jazzfest/index.html

San Joaquin Delta College is in the north part of Stockton--count on just over one hour for the drive.  Directions: South on I-5, exit at March Lane, drive east on March Lane, turn left on Pacific Avenue and drive north to the entrance at Yokuts Ave.  See this link:

http://www.deltacollege.edu/info/general/map/directions.html

Additional Information:

Last year, the following information was provided by Delta College--I assume it is the same this year:

Percussionists: must bring cymbals, complete hi-hat and bass drum pedal
Bassists and guitarists: bring your own 1/4" patch cords
Delta College is in session--we are requested not to disturb classes
No food or drink allowed in the theater or classrooms
Students must not congregate outside the warm-up or performance areas.

Miscellaneous:

Some diversions in the Stockton area if you have extra time (feel free to add):

1.  Giusti's in Walnut Grove (north and west of Stockton) is a classic delta restaurant, and possibly the only place in Northern California that has worse water than Davis:  http://www.giustis.com/

2.  You can revive yourself with caffeine on the way to Delta College at the place with a wince-inducing name yet passable coffee—Toot Sweets:  left on Quail Lakes Drive shortly after turning east on March Lane.

3.  The Haggin Museum for that rare blend of Ag History, Pioneer History and an Egyptian mummy and mummified cat:  http://www.hagginmuseum.org/

Best regards,
Peter Matlock