[Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Band Boosters - "Music to Your Ears" campaign & Spring Trip info

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Thu Nov 4 23:39:42 PDT 2010

Greetings Fellow DHS Band Parents,

The "Music to Your Ears" campaign is underway, and you should have received a mailed letter introducing it and campaign form to return.
Please help in anyway you are able.  This is our major fund-raiser for the year to support the band programs directly.

The Spring Trip committee has been hard at work building the foundation for a fun and exciting trip to Victoria, Canada.
We will be flying up to Seattle and taking a combination of busses and ferries to get to & from Victoria.
Initial payments to the airlines, bus companies, hotel and event locations are quickly coming due.
So we will be starting to collect for the trip soon.  The anticipated installment dates are likely going to be around these times (some may change):
1st installment by 12/10/2010
2nd installment by 01/21/2011
                                    3rd installment by  03/04/2011
                                    final installment by 04/01/2011

We will be sending out a Victoria Trip letter around 11/15 or 11/16 with information that you need to know for the upcoming trip.  Please keep an eye out for it, and ask your student about it.  It will be sent home with them.  We wanted to get this information out to you before the Thanksgiving holiday.
We will also be sending out a snapshot (via email) of your student's credits and how that affects the estimated cost of the trip for each person before the 1st installment date to help you.

It is important for you to realize that there are two distinct types of money that the band boosters deal with.  First, there is fund-raising money, which comes from the fund-raising activities that the band boosters sponsor.   This money can only be used for DHS Band trip expenses or specially designated band events which require funding.  These funds are not actually the students and can not be refunded to them.  Some of the fund-raising events allow the students who participate in them the opportunity to get credits which are kept track of and will help to reduce the recommended cost of the trip for that student.  The second type is the money that we hold "in escrow" for the family which is applied directly toward their student's accounting for the trip.  This money is not actually the band boosters and any remaining portion can be refunded to the families if the trip is canceled, ends up costing less, or is not all needed due to fund-raising dollars being applied first.  Both the fund-raised money as well as the "escrow" money are used to pay the costs of the trip as they come up (hotel, airline, bus, food, etc).  Both types of money can roll over to the next year for any returning students.  Please feel free to talk with me at one of the band booster meetings or at any of the band events if you have more questions.

Cheers,
~JAH

John Horn, DHS BB President
dhsbbpresident at gmail.com<mailto:dhsbbpresident at gmail.com>