[Dhsbb-jazz] Welcome DHS Band Boosters !!

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Thu Aug 25 10:32:10 PDT 2011

All DHS Band Families,

Welcome back everyone!  I hope you have all had a relaxing &/or fun summer.  Mine went entirely too quickly, as do most vacations. :)
The DHS Band Booster officers have met several times during the summer and have a full line up of activities for us to focus on this coming school year.
Your officer's for this year are:
                Julie Hochman                   Vice President
                Wes Young                         Vice President
                Kathryn Shickman            Secretary
                Joyce Hamaguchi             Treasurer
                John Horn                           President
Our contact information is on the DHS Band Boosters web site:  www.dhsbandboosters.com<http://www.dhsbandboosters.com>.

For those of you new to DHS, welcome aboard.  We have an active DHS Band Booster group.  Our main function is to support the DHS band program that is run by Mr. Lange and this year joined by Mr. Quick, two fantastic music educators!  We have various fundraisers during the year to help offset the cost of running the music program and to help with the expenses of the Spring Band Trip.  Each year, the band takes an educational & performance based trip.  This Spring the band will travel to San Diego during the last part of April.  The trip committee is run by Katie Horn and meetings for that will be starting shortly.   In years past we have rotated between San Diego, Disneyland and Victoria, Canada, ensuring that each student is able to attend any and all of the trips that they want to attend.  The fundraising is a big part of helping the students to achieve that goal.  Financial assistance is also available through the Band Boosters.  More about that later.

As you have seen, in Mr. Lange's packet of info, there is a PRELIMINARY schedule that was sent home with the students on the first day.  That schedule and the other forms are available for you to download and print out at:  www.dhsbandboosters.com<http://www.dhsbandboosters.com> ,  as is other Band Booster information.  Also as he noted, there is a possibility of change, and to reinforce that awareness, we have two items that have changed.  The dates of the 1st two car washes have shifted.
Car Wash #1 will be Sunday Sept 11th, from 1:00 - 5:00 pm at the Save Mart parking lot (Anderson & Covell).  Car Wash #2 will be Saturday Oct 8th, from 11-3:00 pm also at the Save Mart parking lot.  Car Wash #3 remains the same, Saturday Oct 29th at the District Lot (5th & C).

Some Key Upcoming items:

1.       Tonight - is the first Pep Band rehearsal.  It is on the calendar and the students are being told about it in class.  The Pep Band is the 4th band of DHS and is the fun, light-hearted, school spirit focused band that plays for football games, rallies, homecoming parade, basketball games, Picnic Day parade, 4th of July parade, and other events either at the school or in the community, representing DHS.  It is a lot of fun, and I highly encourage all students to participate.  It is open to all Concert, Symphonic & Jazz Band students.

2.       Next Tuesday (Aug 30) is the first DHS Band Boosters meeting.  This will be held in PA3, the band room at 7:30pm.  Please plan on attending.

3.       Next Wednesday is another Pep Band Rehearsal.

4.       Next Thursday is the Welcome Back BBQ, sponsored by the DHS Band Booster Officers.  This is for the students and is held at 6:00 pm, before the pep band rehearsal.  The schedule for this day is:  6:00 pm BBQ, 7:00 pm marching practice (on to field for team introduction), 7:30 pm Pep Band Reh.

5.       Next Friday is the 1st DHS Football game.

So as you can see, things are starting off very quickly.

Many of our committee positions are filled and activities on the San Diego Trip, New Orleans Jazz Band Trip, Coconut Grove, Davis (Natsoulas) Jazz Festival and others have already started.  I will be sending out a separate message asking for volunteers needed for several other positions.  Please get involved and help make your student's DHS time, educational, fun & exciting.  "Join the Band, and travel the World" :).

More information will be coming.  Welcome back!

Cheers,
~JAH

John Horn
DHS Band Booster President