[Dhsbb-jazz] Get in the holiday mood with the DHS Winter Rhapsody concert next week

Wesley Young wryoung at ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 9 11:42:41 PST 2011

Band Families and Friends

Celebrate the joys of the holiday season with the Davis Senior High Concert Band and Symphonic Band at the annual "Winter Rhapsody" concert at 7:30 p.m. Thursday December 15, at the Brunelle Performance Hall on the high school campus at 315 W. 14th St.  This concert will put you in the holiday spirit with a performance by the Concert Band, under the direction of Mr. Clyde Quick and additional festive music played by the Symphonic Band under the baton of Mr. Fred Lange. The combined bands, joined by family and friends, will join forces on stage for some special numbers to end the evening.  The musical focus will include familiar melodies for the holidays ("Ding, Dong, Merrily on High", "The First Noel", "Coventry Variant") as well as contemporary works for band.  A special part of the evening will feature student soloist Evan Hamaguchi performing the "Concertino for Clarinet & Band" written by Frank Bencriscutto.  Hamaguchi is also a member of the Davis High Jazz Band, and is  known to the Davis community as a member of the local jazz group, "Crazy Eights". A suggested donation of $8.00 general admission, $6.00 for students and seniors or $20.00 per family will be accepted at the door and holiday refreshments will be available.

We will also be accepting donations of white twinkle lights with either green or white cords, to help replenish our supply of decorations for Coconut Grove. The donations will be collected in the lobby of the IPAB during the Winter Rhapsody Concert. We will gladly accept used cords in working condition that folks may no longer be needing. Please contact Luci Schmidl at lmschmidl at ucdavis.edu or Katy Zane at katyzane at sbcglobal.net if you would like your donations picked up after the concert date.

Jeanette E. Natzle, Assoc. Professor
Molecular & Cellular Biology
University of California, Davis
One Shields Ave.