[Dhsbb-jazz] Playathon information to post on list serve

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Sun Jan 16 10:45:07 PST 2011

>From Sandra:

________________________________
From: Sandra Weisker [mailto:SWeisker at UCDavis.Edu]
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:56 PM
To: Horn, John A
Cc: flange at djusd.net
Subject: Playathon information to post on list serve

Play-A-Thon update:  Saturday, January 22-23, at Emerson Junior High

Permissions for the Play-A-Thon are due by Wednesday, January 18th!  If you can't find your copy (they went home before Christmas so it is very likely that you can't), you will find the forms in the January Newsletter and also on the Band Booster website (http://groups.dcn.org/dhsbandboosters).  While they can be turned in at the Playathon, lines will go much faster and the night will run more smoothly if we have an accurate list of those who are planning to attend, and for how long, created ahead of time.  Thank you for your consideration to our hard-working volunteers.

Students should bring their pledge forms and pledge money when they check in at the Playathon. (Do not bring money to the band room.) Remember that student pledges from family and friends will go toward the individual student's trip costs, so this is a great opportunity to defray the cost of the trip.

Parents, have you always wanted an opportunity to play in the band or wave the baton as conductor? This is your chance - for a $25 donation you can get in the spirit of the night and play along or conduct between 11 pm and midnight. You can also recruit family and friends to join you. (Money may be designated toward your student's band trip costs.)  Sheila Allen, school board member and band parent, will be our celebrity guest conductor to start things off during that hour!

Students-remember to bring your instruments home this week.  Also, please bring your music stand from home if you have one.  There are not enough music stands at Emerson.

Each student is encouraged to bring a favorite snack or drink (non-alcoholic, of course) to the Playathon to keep up energy levels during the night.  We will have a 15 minute break every hour for eating and dancing (or sleeping if you're so inclined).  Students, you are responsible for providing the dance music.

Many of you have indicated that you would help at the concert snack table, however, we have decided not to serve food at the concert this year.  We saw little activity at this table in the last couple of years and it was one more thing to donate food and time to.  We would; however, appreciate a few donations for breakfast.  If you can help with bagels, muffins, or other breads, cream cheese, juice, or fruit, contact Sandra Weisker or Lynne Rumery.   We could also use bottled water so be sure the students stay hydrated during the night and a couple of ice chests with ice for cold drinks.

Parents:  We need more volunteers.  Thank you all to those who have already responded.  For those who have not, please consider helping in one of these capacities:
*        Set up from 6 to 7:30 on Saturday to help set up Emerson to be ready for the performance-mostly putting out chairs, music stands and tables.
*        I need someone to be in the DHS band room from 5:30 to 7:30 pm to allow access for students who forget to take their instruments home.
*        We need help transporting instruments from DHS to Emerson and back.  If you have a van or truck, please contact Sandra Weisker so we can arrange times.   We are looking at Friday or Saturday at 12:30 to pick up and sometime Sunday or Monday to return.  It may require that instruments be locked up in the vehicles until they can be dropped off.
*        Breakfast and clean up:  We need a few more people to help out on Sunday morning.
*        Another 1:30 to 4 am chaperone would be helpful.

Contacts:
Sandra Weisker           sweisker at ucdavis.edu<mailto:sweisker at ucdavis.edu>
Cell:  530-908-0203      Home:  756-2759

Jeanette Vance            jenatzle at ucdavis.edu<mailto:jenatzle at ucdavis.edu>
Lynne Rumery          lynnerumery at gmail.com<mailto:lynnerumery at gmail.com>