[Dhsbb-jazz] Canada News

JazzyHorns at aol.com JazzyHorns at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 13:07:09 PDT 2011

Greetings Band Families!

The Canada trip is just 7 weeks away and final preparations are  underway.

Latest Canada News:
On Monday of this week 1/3 of our group was rescheduled onto a different
(and unusable) return flight by the Alaska Airlines computer.  So for  6 hrs
or so on Monday we had 60 kids walking home from Seattle.  Thankfully  by
the end of the day, I was able to cancel their return flight on Alaska and
repurchase new return flights for them on Southwest Airlines.  In the end,  it
is a better flight and will get those kids home even earlier than the main
group!  Unfortunately, there was a hefty cost associated with this change,
and  a few kids had to be moved around from the original lists they signed
up on in class, but still, the fact that all were once again flying back
from  Seattle to Sacramento on the same evening was everything I could hope
for.   Departure times for Thursday 5/19 did not change at all, and new lists
will  be posted to update everyone on the changes.

And there's more great news.  Due to all the great fundraising the  group
has done this year, the Band Boosters was able to offer a large sum to  help
offset the overall cost of this trip for us.  That combined with  diligent
bargaining from the trip committee folks on everything from busses to  hotels
to food and activities, has resulted in a lower than expected overall  trip
cost, even with the recent airline fiasco costs.

So the final trip cost per student will be $750!

Our last installment amount for the trip is scheduled for this Friday April
 1st.  John Horn has been working hard to get individualized email updates
out to each of you regarding your students trip credits, so these should be
 coming soon, but it is quite a big undertaking and has taken longer than
expected.

If your student did not participate in the recent Coconut Grove event (by
either setting up, working the day of the event or playing in any band
there)  then your last email update from John would still be current.  You may
figure your final installment amount and send it in at anytime. (Checks made
out  to DHS Band Boosters and mailed to:  PO Box 73522, Davis, CA 95617).

If your student did participate in Coconut Grove then it would be  best to
wait for that email, as their credits will have changed, and thus your
final installment as well.  If you already sent  more than that  amount, John
will have details on what your options are in that email.

Watch for official permission slips and packing information to come home
right after Spring Break.  There will also be sign ups for parent  volunteers
for our departure and return day activities - so if you have some  time to
carpool to the airport or help check kids in for the trip, there will  soon
be emails looking for volunteers with those things.

It's going to be a great trip!

Katie Horn
Trip Coordinator

PS. You should be very proud of your band student.  The Davis HS  Combined
Band has been invited to perform at Butchart Gardens this year.   The
coordinator there originally told me that they only had HS bands perform  once
many summers ago and it didn't go well at all.  They have never  had a HS group
since, and he was not interested in having our group there  either.  But
after reviewing a demo DVD, and after many  conversations, the owners of the
Gardens decided to give it another try and they  have invited our group to
play.  It will get lots of publicity through the  Festival Society which
promotes the weekend events during the Victoria Day  celebration.   And best of
all, the kids will get complimentary passes  to tour the gardens (which also
helped with those trip costs!  Yay!)