[Dhsbb-jazz] Canada Trip News

JazzyHorns at aol.com JazzyHorns at aol.com
Tue May 3 13:35:35 PDT 2011

Our Canada Trip is just  2 WEEKS  away!   It's time to think about what you
will use to pack in for this  trip.

Suitcase size:  We will be carrying our luggage onto  the plane.  There is
a $25 per bag fee to check bags at the airport each  way, so we are
encouraging kids to pack light in a suitcase that can fit in the  overhead
compartment of the plane.  If your child has oversized luggage  that isn't going to
fit on the plane then they may send their luggage on the  instrument truck
that will be departing Wed evening for Victoria.  If they  do this, they will
still need an overnight bag with everything they will need  until we meet
that instrument truck in Canada Friday night.

Remember NO DRESS BLACKS on this trip.  That should help tremendously  with
packing.

When packing, remember to check the list sent home in the forms packet of
items to bring.  Weather could be rainy or chilly so pack  accordingly.  In
2008, we actually had some hot weather there.  You  never know.  Also, if
your child is prone to motion sickness on the boat or  bus, you may want to
think about those pressure wrist bands for sea-sickness, or  some mints/lemon
drops to suck on during the rides.  The ferry passage can  get a little
choppy depending on the weather.  We will be taking a total of  3 ferry boat
rides each about 1.5 hrs during this trip.

Remember:  All liquids must be less than 3.4 oz to be carried onto an
airplane, and must all fit in one quart sized zip lock baggie.  This  includes
anything sent for dinner from home.  When planning the bag dinner,  don't
include soft foods such as yogurt or applesauce or they are subject to the
baggie rule.  Drinks and water bottles may be purchased on the other side  of
security before boarding the plane.

Below is the specific baggage information from the Alaska Airlines
website.

Carry-On Baggage
The following baggage rules apply only when traveling on flights operated
by  Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air. If your itinerary includes travel on
another  airline, please check that airline's Web site for their specific
baggage  rules.
You're allowed one carry-on bag, which can measure up to 10" H x 17" W x
24"  L (25 x 43 x 61 cm) including wheels and handles, plus one personal item,
such  as a purse, briefcase or laptop computer. At least one of the items
should be  stowed under the seat in front of you.
Every effort will be made to accommodate your carry-on in the passenger
cabin. Acceptance of carry-on baggage is subject to space availability on the
aircraft at the time you board. In the event adequate space is not
available,  your carry-on bag may be checked for no charge to baggage claim at your
final  destination.
Items exceeding the free carry-on allowance will be charged $25 per piece
and  tagged for delivery to baggage claim at your destination.
Liquids, Gels, or Aerosols (3.4 oz.  (100ml) or Less _packed per TSA
regulations_ (http://www.tsa.gov/311/) )