[Dhsbb-jazz] Canada Cell Phone reminder

JazzyHorns at aol.com JazzyHorns at aol.com
Fri May 13 16:59:35 PDT 2011

Hello Everyone.  Less than a week to go until our band trip!

This is a reminder for everyone to be sure to check their individual cell
phone plans and know what charges your child will incur if they use their
phone,  even to receive incoming calls and texts while in Canada.

Something I had not thought of since our last trip, is the prevalence of
smart phones now with data plans.  If that is not turned off, the data
roaming charges can add up quickly - and these phones , unless deactivated,
automatically will be updating email, face book, news etc.,  all the  time.
Some kids use the phone to listen to the radio or watch U-Tube or  visit web
sites  - all of  which will add up quickly.  Some plans  charge fees of $15 -
$100 just for using international data roaming then  additional charges for
the amount used - so definitely check on your plan!

We will be instructing the students to turn off the data roaming feature
and their phones before we cross the boarder, using them only as needed to
contact a chaperone or for specific calls home, unless otherwise instructed
by  their parent.