[Dhsbb-jazz] FW: Future funding of the district music program, parcel taxes

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Thu Oct 27 15:29:57 PDT 2011

All,
Here is a message that Hiram recently sent out about the parcel taxes from Measures W & Q.
This is something that will have a direct impact on our music program.
After a meeting this week with the DJUSD Asst Superintendent, Human Relations, I learned that the ability to get a replacement for Mr. Lange after he retires at the end of this year, is directly related to the outcome of this election.  If the measures are renewed, then there will be a position to fill.  If not renewed, there won't.  Pretty simple.

So this is an area that we need to get involved in and energized about, for the sake of the Davis music program and our kids.
Please get educated on this and I'll try to keep the information flowing.

Cheers,
~JAH
DHS Band Booster Pres
Cell: (916) 804-5017

Greetings:

The elementary instrumental music program has been funded through the current year by the Measure W parcel tax.  Measure W along with the Measure Q parcel tax also partially fund some of the music classes in grades 9-12, among other things.  Both are set to expire at the end of this school year.

Additional information about the parcel taxes, district programs, and DJUSD budgeting can be found here: http://www.djusd.net/district/business/budget/questions

The Davis school board is proposing to renew both parcel taxes in a mail-in election scheduled for March 6, 2012 in order to continue funding certain programs past this school year.  At present, the school board is entertaining comments from the public as to what kinds of programs to fund, what level to set the parcel tax (the current combined assessment of both is $320 per house), and what term to set (the school board has usually set a term of 4 years).

If you have any comments for the school board about this issue, please contact them here:
http://www.djusd.net/district/boe/board/contact

Enrollment in the secondary music program has been growing steadily over the past few years.  The elementary music program currently has its highest enrollment ever in the district this year both in terms of numbers of students and percentage of eligible students participating.

If you have questions, I may be able to answer some questions.  Other questions can be addressed in the links above.

Thanks for your consideration,
Hiram Jackson
DSOMA (secondary orchestra boosters) volunteer
753-4814