[Dhsbb-jazz] We Need Your Help to Pass Measure C! Info on how to help inside!

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Tue Jan 17 09:10:06 PST 2012

DHS Band Boosters,
Here is a note from the Measure C campaign.
It needs all of our collective support to ensure that we are able to continue music in Davis at this superb level!
The DHS Band Boosters officially support Measure C.
Please help as much as you can.
Cheers,
~JAH

John Horn
DHS Band Booster President

___________________________________
To All Music Boosters, Parents, Families, and Supporters:

We are contacting you to ask that you join us as active volunteers in the campaign to renew our enacted parcel taxes. As many of you know, Measures Q and W will sunset in 2012 resulting in a 6.5 million dollar (or approximately 10 percent), loss to the school district’s overall budget. Both parcel taxes have been combined and are proposed to be renewed as one Parcel Tax – Measure C. Schools and programs at all levels will be affected if the parcel tax isn’t renewed! More specifically in relation to the district music program, the whole elementary music program and several secondary music courses are currently paid for through Measure W and Q. Without passing Measure C, we will lose these programs, along with many, many others. We love our music programs in Davis, and none of us want to see any decrease in the ability for our children to be able to participate in music along with all of the other great opportunities that are currently being paid for through enacted parcel taxes. In an effort to help “get out the vote,” the Yes on Measure C Campaign has setup a system of phonebanking and precinct walking—we are asking for your help with both efforts!  The details and sign-up information are below.

What’s at stake if Measure C doesn’t pass?

You can find all the details on the Yes on Measure C<http://www.yesforourstudents.org/> website HERE<http://www.yesforourstudents.org/lit/stake.pdf/view>, and as you review the details, we believe you will come to the same conclusion that we have. This tax continues to be critically important! C For Our Children, C For Our Community. Davis has a wonderful history of giving extra financial support to our schools . Local voters have approved a parcel tax for the past 25 years, and in these difficult times for public education, to continue being able to offer the width and depth of programs in the schools, we need the continued funding through passage of Measure C.

We would like to encourage all parents and other concerned citizens to make sure that Measure C passes. We can show our dedication to every student’s strong education and our support for important instructional programs by working for the passage of this renewal. We need you!

Positive voter turnout will be the primary factor in determining whether Measure C passes or fails. As a volunteer you will help TURN OUT THE YES VOTE by knocking on doors (precinct walking) and/or by calling supporters (phonebanking) to ask voters to “mail-in” their ballots.

Precinct walking involves picking up a packet at the Farmers’ Market with all the details, script and handouts you need, knocking on 30-40 supporters doors for a few hours and turning in your contact sheet at the end of the day. Training will be provided the day you volunteer. Phonebanking involves being with other volunteers in several downtown real estate offices for a few hours and calling supporters. Your well-charged cell phone would be a great asset, but land lines will also be available. There will be a script for all volunteers to read from, so no one will have to make up what to say. Training will be provided at the start of each session. Details and timing for each volunteer opportunity can be found on the Yes on Measure C link above and Sign-Up Genius links below. All walking and phoning will be to likely or known YES voters, with the goal of helping to remind and encourage everyone to send in their YES vote.

We also need you to spread the word. If you can help mobilize at least three friends or colleagues to volunteer for either walking or phoning or both, we can reach our supporters!

Use all your social media tools, facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, to raise Measure C awareness with your friends. And, talk it up! Talk about the importance of the measure to your friends, family, neighbors, and those you know in the community! Feel free to pass this letter along to those you know who might want to help!

Link to sign up for Precinct Walking<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F094AADAC2FA64-precinct> - Fresh air and friends and no prior experience needed!

Link to sign up for Phoning<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C054DA4AA28AA8-phonebanking> - It's easy and fun and no prior experience needed!

Anyone can choose to sign up in the group or individually. Either way is great!

There is no real shortcut to victory for Measure C. While the “mail in” election procedure is relatively short and simple – WE MUST GET PEOPLE TO VOTE YES AND RETURN THOSE BALLOTS BY MARCH 6. We’ll need the concerted effort of people who care about our schools if we are to succeed in this election. The risk of failure is too great! Our children are counting on us!!

Please email us with any questions.

Hiram Jackson, Yes on C Committee Member, Orchestra Parent, Former DSOMA President - hsjackson at aol.com<mailto:hsjackson at aol.com>
Greg Brucker, Yes on C Committee Member, Educator - five_below at sbcglobal.net<mailto:five_below at sbcglobal.net>

Yes on Measure C = For our Children, for our Community!

Yes On Measure C Website: www.yesforourstudents.org<http://www.yesforourstudents.org/>

What’s at Stake? http://www.yesforourstudents.org/lit/stake.pdf/view

Sign-up for Precinct Walking Here:
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F094AADAC2FA64-precinct