[Dhsbb-jazz] Reno jazz festival hotel rooms and concert tickets

John Ebeler jdebeler at ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 10 22:49:05 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

There are a few updates for the Jazz Band’s trip to the Reno Jazz Festival later this month.  I have
tentatively reserved 12 rooms for Friday, April 26, at Circus Circus, which is listed as the official
festival hotel by the UN-R folks who are coordinating the jazz festival.  The price for rooms that day
is $189, with the total coming to about $225 per room once all surcharges and taxes are included.
At this point, I have checked on six hotels, and one of them, the Ramada Reno Hilton, has said that
they may be able to help us.  Until and unless I hear from them before noon tomorrow, we have the
rooms at Circus Circus.  I do not intend to call any other hotels.

 If you would like to use one of the 12 Circus Circus rooms, please reply to this email to let me
know.   We need six rooms for students and I somewhat arbitrarily guessed that we would need six
for the director and drivers/chaperones.  Based upon the number of parents who have said they will
attend Saturday’s performance we may need several more, but I don’t know if some of you may be
planning to drive up Saturday morning or if anyone might want to look for a room in a different
hotel of their choice.  If we need to add more rooms to the reservation, I would be happy to do that
at any point, but since rooms are in such high demand for that night I would like to do it before I
leave for the Disney trip tomorrow.) I would like to have at least all students and enough
chaperones to provide adequate supervision together at one hotel, but that doesn’t mean that
absolutely everyone affiliated with DHS must be in a single hotel.  In case you are wondering about
pricing, we do not get any discounts for reserving a large group of rooms from Circus Circus.

The other topic to discuss is the Friday evening concert featuring Matt Wilson’s Arts and Crafts.
Tom would like the students to attend, so the band boosters group has purchased tickets for Tom,
all students, and for Julie and Renee who had told me over the phone or in emails that they wanted
to attend the concert.  We are asking parents to reimburse the band boosters for the tickets and
hotel expense if possible, but as with all class-related activities all students are encouraged to
participate.  If your current financial situation doesn’t allow you to issue that reimbursement
payment for the student costs we will make things work some other way.  We want all of the
students to participate, learn, and enjoy the experience.  As always, adults are required to pay for
all of their own expenses.

Just a brief explanation:  I did not try to coordinate ticket purchases for everyone else because the
tickets are all general admission, so everyone can order their own tickets and still stay with the
group.  Also, coordinating an unknown, fluctuating number of adult tickets adds a layer of
complexity that I just didn’t have the energy to deal with right now.  If you would like to get tickets,
they can be purchased at the box office in Reno for $27 for adults and $18 for students or can be
ordered over the phone for $31.75 and $21.50 (telephone 800-325-7328).  The ticketing service
had a different-sounding name for the concert, but if you tell them it is the Matt Wilson concert in
the Lawlor Events Center at 7:30pm on Friday, April 26, they will get the right tickets for you.
Tickets can be mailed to your home if you order at least 10 business days before the concert,
otherwise they can be picked up at a will-call window at the Lawlor box office on the day of the
show.

Wow.  Way more than I intended to write.

John