[Dhsbb-jazz] Trip update--fundraising

John Ebeler jdebeler at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 7 01:42:54 PST 2013

This message contains important information regarding the band trip to Southern California.
Please take the time to read what’s happening, especially the financial information—trip fundraising
is falling short.

The total cost for everything the trip committee had proposed including on the trip (hotels, buses,
Disney passes, some meals, snacks, drinks, T-shirts, etc.) is now estimated at a little more than
$60,000.  The core requirements for this trip are the hotel rooms, buses, and Disney passes, but
we could scale back or eliminate some of the other items that we had been planning to include.
Several people have asked how much the total amount breaks down to for each traveller (some
people called it a “fair share” amount).   Based upon the number of travelers and the total estimated
trip costs, the original figure of $450 per person is still a reasonable estimate.  Students and
chaperones will need to take cash on the trip to pay for at least some meals and all discretionary
expenses (souvenirs, extra snacks, etc.).  The amount of cash they will need with them depends
upon how many of the extras can be provided by the Band Boosters, which in turn depends upon
how much we raise via parent trip contributions and other fundraisers like Coconut Grove.

Where are we in that fund raising effort?  We need a little more than $60,000 for everything that
has been proposed.  We have received approximately $31,000 in trip contributions.

For any people who have not yet mailed in a contribution, please take that step now.  If you are
making installment payments for a pledged contribution, please send your final installment now.  A
few installment contributors have asked me to remind them how much they have donated for the
trip up to now.  Each person who pledged to make installment payments will receive an email
summarizing the trip contributions we had received from them through the end of February.  Those
messages will be going out over the next few days and should all be out by the end of the
weekend.

Thanks for reading through to the end and giving this your consideration.

John and Sue Ebeler

p.s.  I have also been asked what we do on the band trip.  A brief summary:
•	Thursday, April 11, about 135 students and 17 chaperones ride chartered buses from DHS to
Anaheim.
•	Friday, April 12 we visit the UCLA campus where the faculty will lead music clinics for our
students.
•	April 13 and 14 will be spent at Disney venues, including free time in the Disney parks,
playing concerts at Disneyland, and working/learning with Disney professionals in their performing
arts studio.
•	Monday, April 15 we return to DHS.