[Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Bands Spring Trip Information and Sign Ups

JazzyHorns at aol.com JazzyHorns at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 08:50:41 PDT 2013

Hi All,
Please watch for the GREEN letters coming home this week about the Spring
Trip.  We need EVERYONE (whether going or not on the trip)  to visit
dhsbandboosters2.com to fill out the trip  form.   (you will need to cut and paste
the link into your browser...I  couldn't make it actually link up...sorry)

THANK YOU!!

♫    DHS BANDS   ♫

2014 VICTORIA, CANADA  SPRING TOUR

Fri 5/16/14 – Tues  5/20/14

Dear Band Parents:
                           October, 2013
The DHS Band Boosters  sponsor a band trip each year for all students in
the band program.  The trip is optional yet all students  are strongly
encouraged to attend this educational and memorable music  experience. Pending
school district approval, this year the bands will travel  first to Seattle,
then on to Victoria, British Columbia. The bands have been  invited to perform
at the Victoria Day celebration and will play at venues  around the city of
Victoria.  The  itinerary will also include visits to local attractions and
planned group  activities.  The students will have  some free time, with
chaperones always providing appropriate supervision.  While there are no
assigned study hall  periods during the trip, there will be opportunities to study
during travel and  at the hotel for students who choose to do so.
Important information will always be  posted on the band booster website for
reference throughout the year.
General Itinerary:
Friday May  16
Depart in carpools for Sacramento Airport EARLY (as in before  sunrise)
Fly to Seattle
Visit Experience Music Project Museum – EMP
Music clinic TBD
(Likely at University of Washington or University of Puget  Sound)
Stay the night at Embassy Suites Hotel,  Seattle
Saturday May 17 – Monday May 19
Depart for  ferry boat to Victoria B.C.
All bands perform at scheduled events throughout the  city
Participate in the Victoria Day Celebration events on  Monday
Free time to explore Victoria
Scheduled group activities and occasional meals, with some meals on  own
Full hot breakfast provided daily at Harbour Towers  hotel
Visit to Butchart Gardens with possible  performance
Tuesday May 20
Walk to  nearby ferry landing
Board ferry to Seattle
Fly from Seattle to Sacramento
Carpools to return home in the evening
Passports  or other documents   Everyone traveling with the band  will need
either a passport, a notarized birth certificate, or lawful permanent
resident card /naturalization card to travel outside the country.  Traveling
with a passport is easiest yet  will cost about $70, if your student needs to
obtain one.  For full details on travel documents  required, please go to our
Band Booster website at _www.dhsbandboosters.com_
(http://www.dhsbandboosters.com  and)   and
click on the Spring Trip link.
Financial  Information The  total cost for the bands to take this trip will
be determined over the next few  months as venues and activities are
confirmed. The anticipated cost per student is  $800. We will do everything we can
to keep the cost as reasonable as  possible.  The trip expenses will be
covered by donations and by fundraising events throughout the year.   Band
Boosters exists in part to  ensure that all students who want to attend the
band trips are able.  Together we can make this great trip  happen!
We will be collecting  pledges for donations toward this trip in 3
installments between now and  February.  In order to determine if  we have enough
parent support for a trip of this magnitude we must know your  pledge
intentions as soon as possible.  We will soon be making large payments to secure our
reservations, and we  will only proceed forward with the trip planning if
we can determine that we  have enough funds through pledge donations and our
anticipated fundraising  efforts to make this work!
Chaperones  Yes, we need them.  But we  will only have room for a limited
number of folks.  If you are interested in chaperoning the  trip, please
indicate this on the registration form, and consider coming to our  trip
planning meetings.  First  preference for travel will be to those who help put the
trip together – as some  of those folks will need to be there.  Then we will
fill in remaining slots with other interested parents by  lottery if
needed.  If you are not  selected for a chaperone spot, please consider scheduling
your own “parallel”  trip and meeting up with the group at one of our
locations.  It’s fun to be a band groupie and  amazing to see the students
perform in these special locations.
Fundraising  Opportunities
We have already completed  3 car washes, a pizza night and raffle and food
sales at the Davis Jazz and Beat  Festival.  We are off to a great  start!
Future fundraising  opportunities include the holiday Rent a Band,
Play-a-thon in January and  Coconut Grove in March.  Students  are not required but
are encouraged to participate in these fundraising events  as it will really
help to decrease our overall costs.  Students will see a direct benefit from
 all fundraising efforts – if we raise more than we anticipate in our early
 budget projections, then we will divide that surplus among the student
participants either with more included meals on the trip or an adjustment
after  the trip.
Reservations  In order to plan accordingly, we need  to know who will be
attending this  trip.  Initial reservations are  being made with the airline,
bus and hotels so it is essential to determine how  many students will be
participating and begin collecting pledged donations.
Please complete the official trip  online reservation form by visiting the
link below  by October  25th.   EVERYONE MUST REGISTER as either going or
not  going on the trip.
_www.dhsbandboosters2.com_ (http://www.dhsbandboosters2.com)
Reservation Deposit    We are collecting initial deposit  donations now.
In order to budget  accordingly we ask that you plan to make any pledge
donations in regular  installments by the dates listed below.  This will help to
ensure that we have enough funds in the trip account to  pay for
reservations when they become due.  We cannot wait until just before or after the trip
to collect  donations.  If we do not have enough  funds in our account when
it is time to pay invoices, we will cancel our  trip.
First pledge installment  should be received by:
November 15,  2013
Second pledge installment  should be received by:
January 15,  2014
Final pledge installment  due should be received by:
February 15,  2014

Please make checks  payable to:  DHS Band  Boosters
You  may send all pledge installments to the band booster mail box at:
DHS Band  Boosters
Victoria Trip
P.O. Box  73522
Davis, CA 95617
We sincerely hope that  all band students will sign up for the Victoria
Spring Trip.  There is nothing that helps to unify a  group like touring and
sharing music together.  If you have any questions regarding the  trip please
feel free to contact us.

Katie  Horn and Otto Raabe
DHS  Band Trip Coordinators
758-2528
                                   707-392-9867
_jazzyhorns at aol.com_ (mailto:jazzyhorns at aol.com)
                                            _OttoRaabe at aol.com_
(mailto:OttoRaabe at aol.com)

PLEASE  COMPLETE THE ONLINE RESERVATION BY FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25th!
_www.dhsbandboosters2.com_ (http://www.dhsbandboosters2.com/)

Check the band booster  website often for updated Spring Trip information
throughout the school  year.   _www.dhsbandboosters.com_
(http://www.dhsbandboosters.com)