[Dhsbb-jazz] DHS Band Help Needed - for Coconut Grove

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Mon Feb 17 15:28:53 PST 2014

Dear DHS Band Families, Friends and Alumni,

Our most popular annual fundraiser is quickly approaching: "An Evening at Coconut Grove" on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Emerson Junior High MPR.  The night features dinner, great jazz band performances and a fun raffle &  silent auction.  We are still in significant need of help from our supporters (you) for raffle & silent auction items.   I urge you to consider making a donation of a gift basket, bottle of wine or other items that can be used for the auction.  Since the DHS Band Boosters is a 501c3 organization, your contribution should have some positive tax benefits (check with your tax preparer).

Popular auction items in previous years have been original artwork, jewelry, restaurant dinners, cabin rentals, wine country tours, golf/tennis lesson, theme gift baskets, etc.  If you have a skill, you could consider donating a few hours of teaching the skill.  This is a wonderful opportunity for musicians to introduce themselves to potential students.  If you know of a group of musicians who would be willing to donate some time playing for a private event, please urge them to donate their services.  Nothing is too large or too small for consideration!

A wonderful idea from one of our booster parents has been to collect a donation of a wine bottle from each of our booster families - this will form an "Instant Wine Cellar" item at the silent auction.  So please let Poornima know where and when we can pick up your donation of one or more wine bottles, in addition to other items.

You can reach her at poornima_mk at yahoo.com<mailto:poornima_mk at yahoo.com>
poornima(underscore)mk at yahoo.com, or call me at 530-757-6382.

*************************************

Remember to purchase your tickets before Feb 19th to receive the discounted price.  Please send your reservations to Diana Wilkinson to reserve and pay for your seats.   nosnikliw04 at comcast.net<mailto:nosnikliw04 at comcast.net>  or call 530-792-8815.   Don't wait, tickets usually sell out early, and there is only one show!!

*************************************

We also still need people to sign up to help in various ways for Coconut Grove.
Please go to Signup Genius to see how you can help:   http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050D49AEAB292-2014

We are looking for people who can help with getting tables, checking families in, general adult volunteers, dessert makers, coffee & tea prep, and more.  Please help out if you can.

Thanks much for your generous contribution of time &/or items for this event.

Cheers,
~JAH

John Horn
DHS Band Booster Pres.
(916) 804-5017  cell.

Letter 2

Dear DHS Band Families and Friends,

  "If you want to make a song more hummy, add a few tiddley poms," said Pooh.

This is a repeat call for Silent Auction items for our annual Evening At Coconut Grove fundraiser that will be held on March 9.  Think of your contributions as tiddley poms to the beautiful music our kids create in the DHS band programs!  I have had a few (can count 'em on the fingers of one hand) offers so far from this group!  Please remember that the money we raise here is critical to efforts to support instrument purchases and repairs, music purchases, adjudicator fees, band festival fees, honor band fees for the director's participation, etc.  In addition, each year, we arrange for the band programs to perform at an outside venue - this year's venue is Disneyland.  Again, all ideas and donations are welcome!  Team up with others and create fun baskets (movie nights, ethnic dinners, cooking lessons, game nights..).  No idea is too small!

Once again, hoping to hear from ALL of you!

Best wishes,
-poornima