[Dhsbb-jazz] Fwd: Davis designated, nationally, as one of the "Best Communities for Music Education" for 2014

tslabaugh at djusd.net tslabaugh at djusd.net
Wed Mar 26 15:06:19 PDT 2014

What wonderful news!

Mr. S

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hiram Jackson <hsjackson at aol.com<mailto:hsjackson at aol.com>>
Date: March 26, 2014 at 11:22:24 AM PDT
To: <kgardias at djusd.net<mailto:kgardias at djusd.net>>, <tslabaugh at djusd.net<mailto:tslabaugh at djusd.net>>, <wzinn at djusd.net<mailto:wzinn at djusd.net>>, <amoreno at djusd.net<mailto:amoreno at djusd.net>>, <cquick at djusd.net<mailto:cquick at djusd.net>>, <gbrucker at djusd.net<mailto:gbrucker at djusd.net>>, <nsanchez at djusd.net<mailto:nsanchez at djusd.net>>, <lcooley at djusd.net<mailto:lcooley at djusd.net>>, <swall at djusd.net<mailto:swall at djusd.net>>, <kicole at djusd.net<mailto:kicole at djusd.net>>, <vtonus at djusd.net<mailto:vtonus at djusd.net>>
Cc: <rebeccabreitbard at hotmail.com<mailto:rebeccabreitbard at hotmail.com>>, <john.a.horn at intel.com<mailto:john.a.horn at intel.com>>, <JazzyHorns at aol.com<mailto:JazzyHorns at aol.com>>, <smkporter at gmail.com<mailto:smkporter at gmail.com>>, <sharoninkelas at gmail.com<mailto:sharoninkelas at gmail.com>>, <wroberson at djusd.net<mailto:wroberson at djusd.net>>, <cbryant at djusd.net<mailto:cbryant at djusd.net>>, <mbest at djusd.net<mailto:mbest at djusd.net>>, <margneu at pacbell.net<mailto:margneu at pacbell.net>>, <jazzygonz at yahoo.com<mailto:jazzygonz at yahoo.com>>, <rdksop at jps.net<mailto:rdksop at jps.net>>, <stewfam530 at comcast.net<mailto:stewfam530 at comcast.net>>, <maddadarne at comcast.net<mailto:maddadarne at comcast.net>>, <gina.daleiden at gmail.com<mailto:gina.daleiden at gmail.com>>, <sheilaallen530 at yahoo.com<mailto:sheilaallen530 at yahoo.com>>, <slovenburg at sbcglobal.net<mailto:slovenburg at sbcglobal.net>>, <ttaylor at djusd.net<mailto:ttaylor at djusd.net>>, <jhudson at davisenterprise.net<mailto:jhudson at davisenterprise.net>>, <ddavis at davisenterprise.net<mailto:ddavis at davisenterprise.net>>, <ksnow at djusd.net<mailto:ksnow at djusd.net>>
Subject: Davis designated, nationally, as one of the "Best Communities for Music Education" for 2014

Greetings:

I am very pleased to share that Davis and DJUSD has been chosen by NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) as one of the "Best Communities for Music Education" for 2014.  DJUSD was the only school district in the Sacramento area to receive this award.  This designation was based on an evaluation of a survey application of our district that included criteria such as program breadth, percentage participation, and program accessibility.  For the past 6 years, we submitted an application for this program, but were not selected.  The stated weakness in our program last year was the fact that at no point in our K-12 curricula was there a guarantee that every student would participate in music instruction by a credentialed music teacher -- that music is not a compulsory subject at any grade level.  Most other school districts designated as a "Best Community for Music Education" typically had an elementary general music program available to all students in one or more grades.  This year I added written supplemental material to our application explaining the extent of parent volunteer support for music programs in the schools, such as BRAVO, Link Up, DSAF-funded programs (including elementary choirs), and individual efforts by classroom teachers.  I also stated that it is a current aspiration of this school district to have a general music education program in our elementary schools, as demonstrated by the current school board taking up a recommendation to explore having an elementary general music education program in the district.

Apparently it was enough to score us high enough for the designation.  But I hope that our district will be able to follow through and establish an elementary general music education program in an upcoming school board meeting to help secure such a designation in future years.  I think this award is well-deserved, given what our community has done and gone through to keep and maintain our school music program.

What we have in this award is significantly attributable to the tireless efforts of the district music faculty, administrators, school board, and the community at large.

http://www.nammfoundation.org/research/best-communities-music-education-2014<http://sbomagazine.com/4653-the-2014-best-communities-for-music-education.html>
http://www.nammfoundation.org/press-room/namm-foundation-spotlights-2014s-best-communities-music-education

With gratitude,
Hiram Jackson

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.