[Dhsbb-jazz] Final Victoria Trip Information

Horn, John A john.a.horn at intel.com
Thu May 15 08:59:37 PDT 2014

Final Victoria Trip Information

Our truck is on it's way to Seattle!  Thank you to all for a smooth check in process Tuesday night at DHS.

Departure/Return:
Meet at DHS at 4:15 a.m. Friday.  Students have been assigned carpools to get to/from the airport.  Please review the REVISED CARPOOL LISTS (2 items) attached.  Drivers for the Tuesday return should be at Sacramento airport by 7 p.m.

Victoria Weather:
The good news:  Now the forecast says only showers on Sunday.  But it will be cool with the daily high of 57 each day of our trip.  The weather there is always unpredictable so plan for cool drizzly weather any day.

Carry on Bag:
Students may have a backpack and another small bag or just one carry on.  It should have everything they will need until Saturday afternoon.  We will not be unloading the suitcases from the truck in Seattle.  Remember that all liquids and creams (including toothpaste) must be no more than 3 oz, and sealed in a quart size ziplock bag.

Swimming:
Remember to bring a swimsuit  - there are swimming options at each hotel of our stay as well as at the Crystal Pool athletic center on Sunday.  You will need a beach towel for the Crystal Pool!

Picture ID:
Kids will need a photo ID for the airplane on Friday. School ID is okay for students under 18.  If over 18, they will need a government issued ID (drivers licence, DMV ID card, and if none of those are options have them let us know and we will hand them their passport to use through airport security).

Meals:
Good news!  We have added in a couple more meals for the trip.  Each day students will be provided a full hot breakfast and either dinner or lunch.  They will need to purchase a total of 3 lunches and 2 dinners on our trip.
NOTE:  Many teens will be needing additional snacks during the long days.  There will be food available to purchase at many of our activities and on the ferries.   We have a few light snacks we will hand out at various times but a small bag of goldfish crackers or similar will just take the edge off, so plan accordingly.  If your student has special dietary needs (gluten free, vegan, nut free etc) then you may consider sending a few favorite snacks with them to ensure they have something safe to eat. We have tried to get diet accommodations for meals/snacks but despite our best efforts it sometimes just doesn't work out as hoped.

Money:
Plan on sending spending money with your child for 5 meals, extra snacks, and any souvenirs they may wish to purchase. $70 - $90 extra with the hope that they will bring much of it back depending on where they eat.   Visa cards with a PIN should work in Canada, but our US debit cards are not reliable there.  Students will have information on how/where to change money.

Emergency contacts:
If you need to contact your student during the trip, but their cell phone is off due to international charges, you may call or text any of the numbers below and we will help:
John Horn:  916-804-5017
Katie Horn:  530-798-0757
Otto Raabe:  707-392-9867

It's going to be a great trip!