[Dhsbb-jazz] Important Band Information

Rob Kerner rvkerner at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 29 09:56:31 PST 2018

Hello Band Parents

I'm writing today because as President of the Band Boosters one of my jobs is to make sure the band has sufficient funding.  A few booster parents have been working extremely hard to make sure we can raise enough money for all of the usual yearly expenses: buying new instruments, repairing instruments and equipment, purchasing music, helping to fund local and "big" trips, additional instruction, concerts, festivals, and everything else.

However, we currently have very large trip deficits and need to do something to make it up.  For the Disney trip our deficit is approximately $8400.  For New Orleans it's $7500, for a total of almost $16,000.  The band boosters typically assists with around $4000, which means we are $12,000 over budget. This is not a small amount: To give you some perspective, our yearly budget (without this additional trip cost) is around $36,000.  So we'd need to raise 33% more than usual.  This is no small task, and will require more people to help.

At booster meetings, trip meetings, and in emails, we have asked for both volunteers to start new fundraisers, and participate in current fundraisers.  While we have met our yearly goal of $10,000 from direct deposits, and are making plans for Coconut Grove, we continue to get little to no response for the other requests. For example: Less than 1/4 of the band families participated in the Tea Party fundraiser (last year over 1/2 participated and I was disappointed in that!).  Cynthia has suggested other fundraisers such as BBQ dinner, seeking business sponsors, Facebook fundraiser, to name a few.  But we get little to no response in setting them up. Currently Ashley started a fundraiser for recycling, and all you have to do is rinse your bottles and cans that have CRV and have them picked up...but again, very little sign ups so far.

 For those who are already volunteering, be it with additional financial donations, the Tea Party, Football, setting up Coconut Grove, etc, we thank you for your participation.  But these few people cannot do everything, and if we don't start getting other people to volunteer to organize and participate in fundraisers we will not be  successful this year, or possibly next.  We will need to cut further spending and dip into our financial reserves, and your kids' band program and experience will suffer.

We have a band boosters meeting next Wednesday Dec. 5 at 7:30 pm in the Band Room.  We need volunteers from all 3 bands to come up with new fundraisers and implement them. If you are in town and don't have any prior commitments, we need you to attend.
Rob Kerner
DHS Band Booster President