[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin 10/05/2010

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Oct 4 15:44:21 PDT 2010

Monday, October 11, 2010   Rally Schedule
      1st       7:45-8:30;
      2nd       8:36-9:24;
      Rally     9:24-10:06;
        Break   10:06-10:10;
        3rd     10:16-11:04;
        4th     11:10-12:04;
      Lunch     12:04-12:48;
        5th     12:54-1:42;
      6th       1:48-2:36;
        7th     2:42-3:30

REMINDER

      1.        If you have signed up to take picture retakes, please come to the MPR on Tuesday, October 5th from 3:00-4:00pm. You must bring your original picture packet if you received one or you will not be allowed to retake pictures.

      2.        Attention JUNIORS: The PSAT is coming soon!! Sign ups for the PSAT are now thru Oct 7th during lunch in the large conference room. The test is on Saturday, October 16th from 7:45am to 11:30 am. The cost is only $23.00.

      3.        If you are participating in the Homecoming Parade or on a float, you NEED to have permission slip signed by parent and turned in by this Thursday to C-4, or you will NOT be able to participate in the parade.

NEW

      1.        The Freedom from Hunger Club will meeting this Wednesday, October 6 in L-25 at lunch. Come join us as we discuss our plans for Homecoming and future events.

      2.        Hey Seniors don't forget we have a meeting on Wednesday, October 6th in Mr. Curley's room N-16.

      3.        SENIORS: If you are planning on applying to a University of California campus, please attend the UC Workshop on Thursday, October 7, at 7:00 pm in the Richard Brunelle Theatre. We are privileged to have as our presenter Darlene Hunter, Associate Director, Undergraduate Admissions, UCD. Parents are welcome to join their students for this presentation. You will have an opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.

      4.        It is almost Homecoming and that means this years' new and improved Homecoming Dance is right around the corner. The dance starts right after the game at 9:30 and tickets cost $4 with an ASB card and $5 without one. To buy a ticket from the finance office you will need a dance bid that is signed by parents, which you can get in front office or in C-4. End homecoming the right way by dancing the night away.

      5.        Hey Key Clubbers! Don't forget to stop by our 3rd general meeting this Wednesday at lunch in S-12. Come sign-up for awesome projects and remember to turn in your membership form soon! Spread the buzz and tell all your friends. See you there!

      6.        Patwin Elementary is looking for Outdoor Education CABIN LEADERS! Cabin leaders are needed for their trip to Walker Creek Ranch on Nov. 29-Dec. 3. Cabin leaders must work well with children, and have an outgoing personality with an enthusiasm for the outdoors. If interested, please come to the main office for an application. Applications must be submitted to Patwin Elementary School by October 8.

SPORTS

      Girls Tennis @ Monterey Trail                     3:45            Dismissal: 2:10;
      Boys Soccer @ Monterey Trail                      5:00JV/V6:00    JV Dismissal only: 2:45 Jr.     High/3:00 DHS;
      Girls Volleyball vs. Pioneer                      4:00F/5:00JV/6:00V

COLLEGE VISITS

      Kalamazoo College (Kalamazoo, MI)                 Tues. 10/5                9:00 am;
      Tufts University (Medford, MA)                    Tues. 10/5              10:00 am;
      Oregon State University                                   Tues. 10/5                1:00 pm;
      Scripps College (Claremont, CA)                   Tues. 10/5                2:00 pm;
      Carelton College (Northfield, MN)                 Tues. 10/5                3:00 pm;
      Whitman College (Walla Walla, WA)                 Wed. 10/6                 9:00 am;      Seattle University                                      Wed. 10/6               10:30 am;
      Yale University (visit will be in the library)            Wed. 10/6               12:00 am;
      Boston University                                         Wed. 10/6                 1:30 pm;
      Carroll College (Helena, MT)                              Thurs. 10/7               9:00 am;      Montana State University                                Thurs. 10/7               1:00 pm;
      UC Application Workshop (Held in the IPAB)                Thurs. 10/7               7:00 pm

TODAY

      1.        Cafeteria: Beef Dippers, rice, stuffed pasta shells with red sauce, baked potato bar, pizza.

      2.        Cultural Exchange Club meets this Tuesday during lunch in P-14. We will have a speaker from the Muhuy Project, a project dedicated to aiding displaced people in Peru. Please come learn about how you can help! New members welcome! We'll see you there!

      3.        Photo Club will meet every Tuesday now in A-4. No photography experience necessary.

4.      The DHS Ski Team Informational Meeting is on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 7pm. We'll be  holding our meeting at the Davis High School, Room N-7 for 9th-12th graders. Information about  our always exciting ski team season will be provided. Questions, contact Team Managers Jim      Steidler at steidlerj at yahoo.com 530-219-7388, Karen Steidler at steidlerk at yahoo.com<mailto:steidlerk at yahoo.com> or      530-219.7389 or Coach Bob Brewer at rebrewer at ucdavis.edu<mailto:rebrewer at ucdavis.edu> 530-304-4400.

      5.        The North Davis Volunteer Club will be having its first meeting of the year Tuesday, October 5th at lunch in L-21! Come and learn about volunteering in the North Davis Elementary School reading room and sibling club. See you there!

CONTINUED

1.      VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: All Things Right and Relevant is looking for volunteers to work in their East 8th Street store. Volunteers are needed to help customers, work the cash register, tag items in the store, and assist with other activities as needed. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information and an application.

2.      Hip Hop! Swing! Latin! Jazz! Get your tickets NOW for Jazz Choir's first performance of the     year, and the first EVER annual DHS Jazz Choir dance competition: "Blue Devils: You Think       You Can Dance?" This one-night event takes place in the IPAB at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday,  October 9th. Tickets are on sale NOW at Watermelon Music (207 E Street) until October 7th or    from Jazz Choir members. Advance tickets are $5 for students and $8 for general admission.      Any remaining tickets will be sold for $10 at the door beginning at 6:15 p.m. More info: website        dhsjazzchoir.org or email: DHScanDance at gmail.com<http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=DHScanDance@gmail.com>

      3.        Momentum Dance Club is a student club for dedicated dancers who want experience working and dancing in a company. All levels of experience are accepted, and we strive to educate ourselves and others about the joy of dancing. We meet every second and fourth Friday of the month in the dance room at lunch and hope you will join us!

      4.        Congratulations to Davis Senior High School Students who have been named Commended Students in the 2011 National Merit Scholarship Program. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office to see the list of Commended Students. If your name is on the list you will receive a certificate from the National Merit Corporation.

5.      Mandatory Peer tutor on Wednesday, October 6 at lunch in M-1. We will be discussing the         semester to date and up coming changes to the class expectations.