[DHS Bulletin] 04/11/2011

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Apr 1 15:43:52 PDT 2011

DAY IN HISTORY

April 11, 1814 On this day in 1814, Napoleon Bonaparte, emperor of France and one of the greatest military leaders in history, abdicates the throne, and, in the Treaty of Fontainebleau, is banished to the Mediterranean island of Elba.

SPORTS

Badminton vs. Fairfield                                               3:30                             Dismissal: 2:30;
Baseball JV/Varsity @ Franklin                                   4:15                             Dismissal: 2:15;
B. Golf @ Wildhawk                                                                           Dismissal: 10:30

REMINDER

1. Sign-up this week in the quad at lunchtime to donate blood at the Blood Drive on Friday. You must be a minimum of 16 years old. Parent permission is required for 16 & 17 year olds. Giving blood is safe, easy, and takes approximately one hour from start to finish. After the blood donation, you will be asked to rest briefly and light refreshments will be provided.  Let's try to beat the number of pints donated from last fall! Questions!? See Mrs. Youtsey in the nurse's office.

NEW

1. Save the date!! High school registration: Schedule Pick-Up dates: Juniors: Tuesday, August 16 from 8:30am to 11:00am, Junior High Students/Split Site: Tuesday, August 16 from 11:00am to 11:30am, Seniors: Tuesday, August 16 from 1:00pm to 3:30pm. Sophomores: Wednesday, August 17 from 8:30am to 12:00pm. If you are unable to attend the assigned day, we will see you on the first day of school, which is Tuesday, August 23 at 7:15am.

2. JUNIORS: Would you like to participate in an all-expense paid leadership camp this summer? Camp-Royal, funded and run by our local Rotary Club, is a premier leadership-training opportunity for high school juniors. The program, held each June in the mountains of northern California, is a concentrated, energy packed week of information, ideas and strategies that will help the camper return to his/her school a more effective leader. This year, Camp Royal will be held from June 12-18. The deadline to apply is April 15. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for an application.

3. Come to Davis UNICEF Club today April 11th in L-23. We will be discussing our upcoming tap project to raise money for clean water around the world. Together we can change the world.

4. Day of Silence sign-ups are at lunch in the quad. We are echoing the Silence of the LGBT Community. Come and sign-up today to support the cause!!

TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Fish sandwich with sliced apple and caramel dip, sweet and sour meatball over rice, pizza sandwich, Taco bar.

2. COLLEGE VISIT: If you are interested in majoring in business, education, engineering or biology/pre-medicine, you should consider Grove City College in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A representative from Grove City College will be here TODAY AT LUNCH in the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office to answer your questions. See you at lunch today!

CONTINUED

1. INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: Would you like to experience state government in action? The LegiSchool Project's Real World Civics Summer Internship Program, sponsored by Sacramento State University, is for juniors or seniors interested in learning about state government and political life in the State Capitol. Students will spend the summer working in either the State Senate or Assembly and in an executive branch agency with a Capital Fellow mentor. The internship runs from June 20-July 15. Visit the website at www.csus.edu/legischool<http://www.csus.edu/legischool> or come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information.