[DHS Bulletin] 03/04/2011

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Mar 3 15:45:21 PST 2011

DAY IN HISTORY

March 4, 1861 Lincoln Inaugurated

Abraham Lincoln became the 16th president of the United States on this day.  Since Lincoln's election in November, seven states had left the Union. Worried that the election of a Republican would threaten their rights, especially slavery, the lower South seceded and formed the Confederate States of America.  In his address, Lincoln promised not to interfere with the institution of slavery where it existed, and he pledged to suspend the activities of the federal government temporarily in areas of hostility. However, he also took a firm stance against secession and the seizure of federal property.  He said, "In your hand, my fellow countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The government will not assail you. You can have no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors...We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies."  Six weeks later, the Confederates fired on Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina, and the Civil War began.

SPORTS

Baseball Frosh @ Woodland (Lee)                  3:30;
Baseball @ Woodland (Clark Field)                3:30JV/6:30V;
B. Lacrosse vs. Oak Ridge                               5:30JV/7:30V;
G. Lacrosse @ Cal High                                  5:30JV/7:00V;
B. Swim @ Jesuit Invitational                          12:00;
G. Swim @ Jesuit Invitational                          1:30;
B. Tennis @ Fresno                                         All Day;
B. Volleyball @ Rio Linda                              4:00

REMINDER

1. Eat at Cultive this Sunday, March 6 from 4-10 pm to support the Davis High Freedom from Hunger Club. Mention the Club name with your purchase and part of the proceeds will go to funding the April 29 Dance to End Hunger.

2. Community Service hours available! Davis Branch Library is seeking a volunteer who reads and speaks Korean, for two hours per month, to help order books and screen donations. Contact Katie Hager at 757-3392 or come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information.

NEW

1. Our Robotics Team, Citrus Circuits will be competing in this year's FIRST Robotics Competition on March 17, 18, and 19. I would like to invite you all to come out and watch the excitement on Saturday (3/19) which is the final day of the competition. The competition runs all day at the ARC Pavillion (Old Rec Hall) on the UCD Campus. Details about the competition can be found at www.firstsac.org<http://www.firstsac.org>

2. Come to Davis UNICEF Club on Monday, March 7th. There are new projects to raise money for needy children around the world. Together we can change the world.

3. World renowned choir seeking an accompanist as well as an audio-visual person for next year! Interested? Please see Ms. Gardias (PA-08) by Tuesday, March 8th for more information.

4. Attention all 9th, 10th, 11th grade musicians:  Davis High School Orchestra Program will conduct two auditions for 2011-2012 school year. The first audition group is the "DHS Symphony Orchestra", which is an advanced level full symphony orchestra open to string, woodwind, brass, and percussion players. The second audition orchestra is the "DHS Baroque Ensemble" open to violin, viola, cello, bass and keyboard players who are interested in learning to play the Harpsichord. Auditions will be held in the IPAB, Room PA-3 starting April 11-19. Sign up deadline is Friday, March 25th. Sign-up sheets and informational flyers are in your school music room. If you are unable to decide by March 25th email me ASAP and explain your situation. Contact Mr. Moreno at amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us<mailto:amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us> or by cell phone at (530) 400-7614 for more information.

TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Come to the cafeteria and see what we have to offer.

2. Attention AP students: Today is the LAST day to sign-up for AP exams. Sign-ups are during lunch ONLY (NO EXCEPTIONS) in the Large Conference room. The cost per exam is $90.00 and there are no refunds, so please order carefully! Test dates are May 2-May 13th. Please see the bulletin for specific times and more information.

CONTINUED

1. Do you like to sing? Auditions for the Advanced Treble Choir and Madrigal Choir and Jazz Choir will be held during the week of March 21, 2011! Pick up your audition form in the front office or PA-08. You need a separate form for each choir you're auditioning for. Email: djdcoppinger at att.net<mailto:djdcoppinger at att.net> with any questions for Mads/ATC and Mr. Zinn for jazz.

2. Its' that time of year again! ASB and class elections are coming up, so if you want to run for a class position, now's the time to come to C-4 and get the information you need. Election applications are available and are due March 11th in C-4.

3. "Attention all Students!!! World Language Fair will take place NEXT Saturday, March 12th in the south gym. World Language Clubs will offer food, music and cultural presentations. Ask your language teacher about possible extra credit for attendance."

4. Enjoy great food and smooth jazz at "An Evening at the Coconut Grove" featuring the DHS Jazz Band, along with other community and junior high jazz groups. Saturday, March 12, 7:00 pm at the Emerson Junior High MPR. Visit the DHS Band Boosters website for information and reservation forms.