[DHS Bulletin] 03/18/2011

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Mar 17 15:30:37 PDT 2011

ASSEMBLY SCHEDULE MONDAY, MARCH 21, 2011

1st Period-7:45-8:30 a.m. (45 minutes);
2nd Period-8:36-9:24 a.m. (48 minutes);
2nd Period teachers escort their students to the assembly
Assembly-9:24-10:06 a.m. (42 minutes);
Break-10:06-10:10 a.m. (4 minutes);
3rd Period-10:16-11:04 a.m. (48 minutes);
4th Period-11:10 a.m.-12:04 p.m. (54 minutes);
LUNCH-12:04-12:48 p.m. (44 minutes);
5th Period-12:54-1:42 p.m. (48 minutes);
6th Period-1:48-2:36 p.m. (48 minutes)
7th Period-2:42-3:30 p.m. (48 minutes)

DAY IN HISTORY

March 18, 1852 Wells and Fargo start shipping and banking company

On this day in 1852, in New York City, Henry Wells and William G. Fargo joined with several other investors to launch their namesake business. The discovery of gold in California in 1849 prompted a huge spike in the demand for cross-country shipping. Wells and Fargo decided to take advantage of these great opportunities. In July 1852, their company shipped its first loads of freight from the East Coast to mining camps scattered around northern California. The company contracted with independent stagecoach companies to provide the fastest possible transportation and delivery of gold dust, important documents and other valuable freight. It also served as a bank--buying gold dust, selling paper bank drafts and providing loans to help fuel California's growing economy.

SPORTS

Baseball vs. Jesuit @ Raley Field                                   3:00JV/6:30V                Dismissal: 1:00JV;
B. Lacrosse vs. Jesuit                                                    3:00V/4:30JV                Dismissal: 1:00V/2:30JV;
G. Lacrosse Varsity vs. Sacred Heart                            7:00;
Softball @ Vacaville                                                      4:00                              Dismissal: 2:00;
G. Soccer @ River Valley                                             5:00JV/7:00V                Dismissal: 2:45JV;
B. Tennis @ Dana Hills Coastal Classic                         All day
Track vs. Woodland "Battle for the Spade"                     3:30                              Dismissal: 2:30

REMINDER

1. THE ANNUAL SUMMER ACTIVITIES AND SCHOLARSHIP FAIR IS TUESDAY AT LUNCH!! If you're looking for something to do this summer, need a job, or need extra money for college, you won't want to miss it. The fair will feature job applications, scholarship applications, and information about volunteering and summer activities. It will take place outside the administration building on Tuesday, March 22 at lunch. See you there!

NEW

1. Come to Davis UNICEF's meeting on Monday, March 21 in L-23.  We'll be discussing upcoming projects.  Together we can change the world.

2. I'm up hur' in DHS and I got a little announcement for y'all!! Y'all better fill out a Friendship Day application or get a teacher recommendation and apply to be a Friendship Day facilitator because we want to see everyone there!!

3. Class Rings: DHS Class Rings will be available for pick-up on Tuesday, March 22nd 2:30 to 3:30 in the quad. New orders require a $50.00 deposit

4. Would you like an internship position this summer? The County of Yolo is offering students age 15-19 internships in local government. Students volunteer at least 5 hours per week in an internship position that matches their future career and college goals. You get to learn about county government and the benefits of public employment, gain new experiences, and meet new people! The program takes place over the summer from June 13-August 4. Come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office for more information.

5. Seniors: Last Chance to pre-order your cap/gown/tassel is Tuesday, March 22nd 2:30 to 3:30 in the quad. Cost is $50.00...if interested in ordering DHS Graduation Announcements please see Jostens at this time.

6. Introducing the DHS Waffle Club, a new approach to community service! If you like volunteering, breakfast and most importantly, having fun the n this is the club for you! Come to our first meeting on Monday, March 21st in the foods room S-2 during lunch to learn more about the Waffle Club and our vision for the future.

7. Are you looking for a great way to improve your French listening and speaking skills??  Davis Little League families will be hosting a French baseball team this spring break and are currently seeking one host family for the French team coach.  Please come and talk to Mr. Curley in room N-16 for contact details.

TODAY

1. Cafeteria: Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, pizza, cheeseburger with sweet potato fries.

2. Are you interested in being a CSF Officer? Applications are available in P-13. The deadline to submit an application is Friday, March 18. CSF elections will be held on Friday March 25 at lunch in P-13.

3. Come to the Gay-Straight Alliance Fridays at lunch in L-10. Come help us get ready for Day of Silence and other upcoming events. Everyone is welcome.

CONTINUED

1. SENIORS: If you're planning to attend UCD, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and you worked at a job during high school, you may qualify for the $12,029 Beeghly-Merritt Scholarship! Applications are now available in the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office. The deadline to apply is April 15, so come to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office next to counseling to pick up an application!