[DHS Bulletin] FW: Tuesday Nov 1 Bulletin

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Nov 2 11:44:04 PDT 2011

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
                                                                                     Tuesday November 1, 2011

 THIS DAY IN HISTORY

-1512 - Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling opens to public inside of the Vatican in Rome.

-1952 - Cold War - United States tests first Hydrogen Bomb.

COLLEGE VISITS - Prior to attending the college visit, students must go to their class and check in with their teachers. Only students who have pre-registered in Naviance will be able to attend the college visit. Only 11th/12th graders may attend a college visit.

Upcoming College Visits
Westmont College (Santa Barbara, CA)			                             Monday        10/31
Hampshire College (Amherst, MA)			                             Monday        10/31
Washington U. (St. Louis, MO)			                                             Wed                11/2
Lewis & Clark College (Portland, OR)			                             Friday              11/4
Montana Tech (Butte, MT)                                                                                       Friday             11/4
UC Davis Women in Computer Science Presentation                                    Friday             11/4
Southern Utah University (Cedar City, UT)                                                       Tuesday           11/8

TODAY
-For Lunch: Beef Teriyaki with broccoli over Organic Rice, Stuffed Pasta Shells with Olive oil Sauce, Chicken Adobe made from scratch with Local Organic Rice.

-ATTENTION SENIORS- If you have not yet taken a yearbook portrait, you have One Final Chance -TODAY Tuesday Nov.1. Prestige photographers will be here in C-4 for drop-ins during 7th period, or by appointment See Mrs. Thomsen if you have questions.

- Attention CAHSEE testers: The CAHSEE test will be held TODAY from 7:45 am until lunch, and 8:55 am  until lunch tomorrow, Wednesday  Nov.2  in the North Gym.  Please bring your ID.

-The Guitar Club meets Today at 12:00 in room P-22. Bring a guitar and start shredding!

- Car Club - Come join us Today for our 3rd car club meeting where we will finish discussing our logo design and also design club t-shirts.

-Attention All Clubs-There will be a Mandatory 'Clubs' meeting Today, November  1st  in C-4 at lunch. Please send One representative from each club to this meeting. It can be your club president, an officer, or a member of your club.

-*HEY!*
 Did you know that DSHS is a 'CLOSED CAMPUS' except for Lunchtime? Therefore, Students 'MUST' check out 'BEFORE' leaving campus, and 'MUST' check back in upon returning to ensure the student is not marked "Left without Permission" which is counted as an UNEXCUSED ABSENCE!
**REMEMBER: "You NEED to have a "GREEN PASS" from the 'ATTENDANCE OFFICE' before leaving campus"!!!

NEW
-Seniors: Make-up day ordering of caps/gowns/tassel, graduation announcements and Class Rings is on  Wednesday, November 2 during lunch until 2:30 in the quad. Extra ordering packets are available in the office.

-Any boy interested in playing on the DHS JV or Varsity Tennis Team must attend an info meeting this Thursday, Nov. 3 at 4:00. The meeting will be held at the bleachers by court 12 at the DHS tennis courts.

-Badminton - Interested in joining the DHS Badminton team? If so, come to the team's informational meeting in S-6 on Thursday, November 3 during lunch. All are welcome! Hope to see you there.

Junior and Senior Girls:  Have you ever considered computer science as a major?  Members of the UC Davis Women in Computer Science group will be visiting DHS on Friday to give an overview of careers for women in computer science and related fields.  From social networks to medicine, computer science has a lot to offer.  Come to the Career Center at lunch on Friday November 4 to learn more about opportunities for women in the computer science field!

CONTINUED
-Come show off your skills or learn new ones!  Join the Freestyle Club Wednesdays during Lunch in the Dance Room.

-Boys Basketball - The Boys Basketball Program is looking for anyone interested in being a team manager for the   upcoming season. For more information see Coach Gonzalez in A-5.

-The City of Davis is starting up its Pick-Up Sports Program! Come out every Wednesday at the Community Park Off of Covell Blvd. from 5:30-7:30 to play football, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball and more. First day will begin November 9th. For more information contact Joe at jrogers at cityofdavis.org

-Hello Students of Davis Senior High School! You Rock it out so Hard that you burn down our school!
Our first dance of the year-The Nautical Dance-was cut short on Friday when the fire alarm (no fire though!)went off in our venue. Some of our students had an hour of dancing before we had to evacuate, and some had just arrived.
Regardless, the dance did not get to live up to its full scope. We won't be able to facilitate refunds, but if a student bought a ticket to this dance, they will Not need to pay for a ticket for our winter Break the Record Night _ Dance (date to be announced); their ticket will automatically be rolled over to that event with no further action required on their part.

-Need help in your language class? Experienced tutors are available to help you any day of the week during lunch  in N-15.

-If you are interested in traveling to Germany, please come to see Mrs. Floyd in N-15. The trip is planned for mid-June to mid-July 2012.

- Come learn more about the ocean in the Ocean Conservation Club. Join us on Tuesday, November 1 at lunch in S-2 to watch a riveting streamed video about our oceans.

-North Davis and Pioneer Elementary Schools have extended their Walker Creek Cabin Leader deadline until tomorrow November 2.  Boys are encouraged to apply!  Come to the Career Center in N-17 to pick up an application.

-Attention all clubs! If you would like to have your club or group photo featured in the Yearbook, you must fill out a form. Go to dhsyearbook.wordpress.com to download the form. For more information, come to A-7 during 5th period or C-3 to see Mrs. Thomsen.