[DHS Bulletin] Tuesday October 11

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Oct 10 13:23:11 PDT 2011

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
-2000:  Former President Jimmy Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize "for his decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development." Read more about it at History.com.

 ATHLETICS
-Boys Soccer vs. Franklin - 4:00V-5:30JV					dismissal:  3:00V
Girls Tennis vs. Franklin - 3:45						dismissal:  3:05
Girls Volleyball Frosh vs. River Valley- 5:00

COLLEGE VISITS  - all visits are in the Career Center, Room N-17. The complete list of college visits is available in N-17.
Students interested in attending a college visit must sign up for the visit at least one day prior in Naviance. The visits will have a limit of 70 students. Prior to attending the college visit, students must go to their class and check in with their teachers. Only students who have pre-registered in Naviance will be able to attend the college visit. Only 11th/12th graders may attend a college visit.

-Sacramento City College                                                       		October 11       	11:55 am

TODAY
-Seniors:  Order your DSHS Graduation cap, gown, and tassel; announcements; and/or your graduation ring today at lunch; or Wednesday, at lunch and after school at the yellow tent in the Quad.  Extra packets are available in the office.  A $50.00 deposit is required.  If under $50.00, payment is required in full.

-Juniors:  If you are interested in ordering a class ring, please order today at lunch; or Wednesday at lunch and after school at the yellow tent in the Quad.  Extra packets are available in the office.  A $50.00 deposit is required to order a class ring.

-Hey dancers, come to our dance club meeting today at lunch in the dance room. We will be working on our project, so be sure to come. New members are also welcome. We hope to see you there!

- Show off your skills or learn new ones! Join the Freestyle Club today at 12:05 at lunch on the quad!

-Do you like middle eastern food? Do you want to learn Farsi or more about Middle Eastern culture? Then come to the Persian Student Union meeting today at lunch in L-20. Hope to see you there!

NEW
-Hey Speech and Debate Team members! We will meet this Wednesday, October 12 after school in P-23.  Hope to see you there!

-Want to make a difference at DHS? Come to the Climate committee meeting Wednesday, October 12 @ 2:45 pm in the Library West Classroom. Everyone is invited.

-Calling all hobbits, elves and wizards for Friendship day! Please turn in your signed Friendship Day permission slips ASAP! The deadline is this Thursday, October 13.

October is Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender History Month. The DHS Gay Straight Alliance is putting up posters with Gay History and historical figures around the school.  For example, did you know that the former  tennis champion Billie Jean King is a lesbian?

CONTINUED
-The PE order is in.  If you ordered sweats or PE clothes at registration they are here! Bring your receipt to your teacher as soon as possible!

-The Green Recycle Containers are not for cardboard, trash or other unauthorized materials. Davis Waste Removal will not take the recycling if they see cardboard. That recycle bin is for paper only. The other one is for cans, glass and plastic bottles. Please don't defeat the purpose of recycling ! Cardboard goes in the small dumpster, located beyond the recycling containers. It needs to be flattened!

-The Language Tutors Club is still looking for new tutors. The last day to join is Wednesday, October 12. Applications must be turned in by that day.

-There will be an informational meeting for 9th through 12th graders, boys and girls, interested in joining the DHS Ski Team. It will be held Wednesday Oct 12, at 7 PM, in the DHS Library. Students and a parent or gaurdian should attend. The team placed first in the state last year, and we are looking forward to another successful season. If there are questions, you can contact coach Bob Brewer (rebrewer at ucdavis.edu) or the parent team managers Jim Steidler (steidlerj at yahoo.com) or Karen Steidler (steidlerk at yahoo.com)

-Davis High School Snowboard Team:   There is still time to get some information about the DHS Snowboard team for any interested students. The snowboard team is a co-ed team for 9-12th graders who have at least some snowboarding experience. We are a race team, but get coaching in free-style riding, board cross and the terrain park if interested. Come have some fun this winter and improve your snowboarding skills tremendously in 1 season, and make some new friends. For more information, call Marcia Heller at 753-8930 or e-mail dmheller4 at gmail.com