[DHS Bulletin] Friday September 2, 2011

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Sep 1 12:25:40 PDT 2011

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Friday, September 2, 2011

DAY IN HISTORY
Aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay, Japan formally surrenders to the Allies, bringing an end to World War II.

ATHLETICS
Football Frosh @ Yuba City - 5:30
Football JV/Varsity @ Armijo - 5:15/7:30

COLLEGE VISIT
University of Chicago                     Tuesday, September 6                  9:00am

TODAY
-Rice Bowl Day: BBQ Beef over rice; Mandarin Chicken over rice; Curry Veggies with Chick Peas and Naan Bread; Farm to School Pizza

-Hey Devils! Is your club interested in participating in this year's pixar perfect Homecoming parade on September 23? Come by room C-04 today to pick up a mandatory release form that must be turned in by September 16.

-Interested in helping the environment and having fun? Come to the Environmental Club this Friday at lunch in room S-10. There will be free treats!

-Got school spirit? Come on down to the first Blue Devils Club meeting this Friday, September 2 at lunch in room N-10. We will introduce the club, talk about future events and more! There will be free cookies and pins.

NEW
-Announcement: Please note that the time for the DHS Back-to-School Night has changed. The welcome address for parents, community members and students begins in the North Gym at 6:00pm now.

-Announcement: Check your calendars! The DHS Homecoming week has been moved to September 23! Our school's Homecoming activities - including spirit days, a door decorating contest, a parade and the football game have been moved to this new date. September 23 is now a minimum day - up two weeks from October 7. Please mark your calendars!

-Announcement: Friday, September 23, 2011 will now be a minimum day. October 7, 2011 will follow a regular Friday bell schedule.

-Attention Seniors: Want to help build the most epic Homecoming float DHS has ever seen? Come to Mr. Gonzalez's room A-05 on Wednesday at lunch to brainstorm ideas for our float.

-Attention all clubs! There will be a mandatory meeting on Tuesday, September 6 for all clubs, continuing clubs that need to reapply and new clubs that want to be a part of the Homecoming parade and carnival.
-Juniors! Don't make lunch plans for Wednesday, September 7. Instead, come to the first Junior Class float meeting! It will be in Ms. Brittan's room L-23. There will be delicious , delectable desserts for everyone who comes. See you there!

-Are you interested in being a CABIN LEADER for Korematsu's 6th grade Outdoor Education program? Cabin leaders are needed for their trip to Walker Creek Ranch on Nov. 28-Dec. 2. Cabin leaders must work well with children and have an outgoing personality with an enthusiasm for the outdoors. If interested, please come to the front office for an application. Applications must be submitted to Korematsu Elementary School by October 14.

-It's that time of year again! Clubs are starting to meet and community service clubs are always among the most popular. Following suit, Key Club will have its first meeting of the year on Wednesday, September 7th in room S-12 at lunch. But what separates Key Club from other service clubs? We are an international group and are the oldest and largest service club for high school students in existence! Find out more this coming Wednesday at our meeting. Bring your friends, everyone is welcome!

-Want to learn about German culture and language? Come check out the German Club, Mondays at lunch in room N-15. First meeting will be this Wednesday, September 7 due to Labor Day. No German knowledge necessary, all are welcome.

CONTINUED
-Reminder: Last Day to add or drop a class is September 13.

-Want to start a new club or continue one from last year? Come into room C-04 today to get an application. Apps are due September 16.

-Attention Juniors:  Information re: PSAT will be mailed home the second week of September.

-The Guitar Club will hold its first meeting on Tuesday, September 6th at 12:00 in room P-22. All styles and playing abilities are welcome. We need to elect officers and establish procedures.

-If you ordered class pictures on registration day, please come by the DHS Front Desk to pick up your picture packet.

-It's college visit time! Colleges and Universities from across the country will be visiting Davis Senior High School this fall to meet with interested juniors and seniors. These visits are great opportunities for students to learn about colleges and meet face-to-face with admissions representatives. Our first visit this year is the University of Chicago on Tuesday, September 6 at 9:00am in the Large Conference Room in the DHS main office. Upcoming college visits will be posted soon on the newly relocated Career Center in room N-16 at the back of campus.

-Are you interested in participating in a student exchange with Korea? If so, join the Cultural Exchange Club which meets on Tuesdays at lunch in Mr. Williams' room P-14 beginning September 6.

-Attendance reminder: We want you to be in class every day and on time! However, if you are absent you have two business days to clear absences. You are considered truant and will receive consequences if you accumulate 10 unexcused period absences. 20 unexcused period absences generates a Level 2 truancy letter and 30 unexcused period absences generates a Level 3 truancy letter.
-If you still need to get a locker you need to do this at lunch time ONLY!!! Please fill out a form and we will get a locker for you as soon as possible.

-Staff: please be sure to get your parking placards from Lynette Kimura. Parking enforcement will begin on Tuesday, September 6.

-Student planners are still available for purchase in the Finance Office, at lunch time only, for $8.00.

-Visit our lunch room newly located in room 0-1 for delicious and healthful lunches!

Laurie Williams
Secretary 1
Athletic Secretary
Davis Senior High School