[DHS Bulletin] Friday 9-9-11

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Sep 8 14:11:26 PDT 2011

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Friday, September 9, 2011

DAY IN HISTORY
Though it had only been a part of the United States for less than two years, California becomes the 31st state in the union (without ever even having been a territory) on this day in 1850.
ATHLETICS
Football JV/Varsity vs. Sacramento - 5:00JV-7:15V
Girls Tennis @ CA High Tennis Classic                   dismissal:  all day
Boys Water Polo Varsity @ John Schmitt Memorial         dismissal:  all day
Girls Water Polo Varsity @ SF/MV tournament             dismissal:  all day

TODAY
-BBQ Beef over rice; Mandarin Chicken over rice; Curry Veggies with chick peas and Naan bread; pizza

-Do you like math? If so, come to Mu Alpha Theta's first meeting at lunch in room N-05. We will be discussing upcoming contests and outreach opportunities.

-Are you good at math or science? Do you enjoy helping people? If so, come to the first meeting of the Math and Science Tutors Club this Friday, September 9 in room S-09.

-Did you miss the Blue Devils Club first meeting but still want to join? Well, it's not too late! Actually it's never too late! Come to our second meeting this Friday at lunch in room N-10. We will talk about our goals, Homecoming and t-shirt orders. It will be the last time this semester to order a cool personalized Blue Devils Club shirt! Drop on by!

-The DHS Site Council is looking for two dedicated students to join our committee. The Site Council consists of Principal Moore, staff, parents and students. The Site Council discusses school policies, supports new programs and determines various school budgets at its monthly meetings. If you would like to help shape the future of our school, please pick up an application from Vice Principal McHale in the office by Friday, September 9.  Applications are due Monday, September 12. This opportunity is open to all students.

-Last call! TODAY is the final day to turn in your applications to be a contestant in the Jazz Choir's 2nd annual dance competition, "Everybody Dance Now!" Completed applications along with the $10 application fee MUST be turned in to Mr. Zinn's mailbox in the office by 3:00pm.

NEW
-Model UN is having their first meeting next Tuesday, September 13 in room P-25 during lunch.

-The first meeting of the Gay Straight Alliance is Friday, September 16 at lunch in the East Room of the library. We invite you to check out this awesome club! Everyone is welcome!  Bring your lunch.

-Hola Amigos! Tuesday, September 13 will be the first meeting of the Latinos Unidos Club during lunch in room 0-6. Everyone is welcome!

-Ni hao, the Davis Chinese Club will be having its first meeting of the year. To celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival, we will be having our meeting on Tuesday, September 13 during lunch in room 0-05. Fun activities and delicious snacks will be provided.

CONTINUED
-Reminder: Last Day to add or drop a class is September 13.

-Do you want to help save children in over 150 countries? Then come to Davis UNICEF club on Monday, September 12 in L-23. Together we can change the world!

-Are you science savvy and fast with a buzzer? Come to the Science Bowl Team's first meeting at lunch in room S-09 on Monday, September 12.

-Saturday, September 10, is the deadline for submitting information and articles for the September 2011 DHS PTA newsletter. Please send news, announcements, etc. to the DHS PTA Media listserve at DHSPTAmedia at mailman.dcn.org. Please include your name and a parent or faculty name and contact information (e-mail address and phone number) in case the newsletter editor has questions about your submission. Also, please be sure to include a teacher or parent contact and his/her phone number or e-mail address. The newsletter is the ONLY communication tool that reaches ALL DHS families, whether they have Internet access or not. The newsletter is generally available around the 15th of each month. This is a great way to inform, notify or enlist parents' help for upcoming DHS school and student activities.

-If you ordered class pictures on registration day, please come by the DHS Front Desk to pick up your picture packet.

-CSF'ers! Ready for another fruitful, super year? Come join the largest club on campus and register to be a member for the Fall semester. Go to room P-13 during lunch from September 12-22 and bring your grades or transcript, $5 application fee and completed pink application form. Due to the recent change in date of homecoming, which is now Friday September 23 (minimum day with no lunch period), CSF registration will end a day early. Please note that CSF registration will occur daily in room P-13 at lunch starting on Monday, September 12 and ending on THURSDAY September 22.  Questions contact CSF Advisor Fern O'Brien (fobrien at djusd.net<mailto:fobrien at djusd.net>)

-CITY OF DAVIS: COLLEGE DAY-TRIPPIN' FOR TEENS
The City of Davis is embarking on day trips to some of the most popular colleges in Northern California! This is a great way to get excited and ready for college.  Trips are led by two of our experienced, knowledgeable, responsible and caring Teen Program staff. Participants will tour college campuses, sample the cuisine and check out the local flavor. Each trip is only $50, which includes transportation. Destinations will be:
--9/24/11: San Francisco State University
--10/1/11: Stanford University and Santa Clara University
--10/8/11: California State University, Chico
--10/15/11: University of California, Berkeley and St. Mary's College
For more information, please call the City of Davis Community Services Department at 757-5626 or visit us on the web at www.davisteenscene.org<http://www.davisteenscene.org>

-Hey Devils! Is your club interested in participating in this year's pixar perfect homecoming parade on September 23? Come by C-04 today to pick up a mandatory release form that must be turned in by September 16.

Laurie Williams
Secretary I
Athletic Secretary
Davis Senior High School