[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Monday April 23

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Fri Apr 20 13:58:37 PDT 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Monday, April 23, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
1872 - Charlotte E. Ray became the first black woman lawyer.

ATHLETICS
-Badminton @ Vacaville                                        3:30                   Dismissal: 2:15
-Varsity/JV Baseball vs. Laguna Creek             4:15                   Dismissal: 3:05
-V Boys Golf @ Haggin Oaks GC                         1:00                  Dismissal: 11:15

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Teriyaki Beef over steamed local rice, Roasted Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy or BBQ Pork Sandwich.

-The second Davis High School Blood Drive of the year is scheduled today, Monday, Apr. 23.

NEW
-Jostens will be here in the Quad on Wednesday, April 25 at 2:30 in the Quad to pick-up pre-ordered items!

-Come to the Career Center N-17 on Wednesday April 25 at lunch to learn about San Francisco State University's Chinese Flagship Program, which provides language training and conversation tutoring to help students reach professional proficiency in their chosen field.   Come to the Career Center for more information.

CONTINUED
-Lecture Series: Converting Sunlight into Fuel with Nanoscience
Please join Troy Townsend on Tuesday, April 24 during the lunch hour at 12:00 Noon in Room PA-8.  Troy is a 4th year chemistry graduate student in Frank Osterloh's Photocatalysis lab and he designs and builds tiny nano-machines that harvest sunlight.  From the power of photons, they generate an electric charge. When these nano-crystals are in water, they cause water to split into H2 and O2 fuels for sustainable energy fuel cells.  Troy grew up on a farm in West Virginia, received his Bachelors in Chemistry and Biology from St. Mary's College of Maryland, then taught high school chemistry at the Kiski school in Pennsylvania.  Troy then moved to Davis for a PhD.   He has 6 publications on photocatalysis and is involved in many projects currently.
-Interested in plant science, environmental horticulture, land restoration or biotechnology?  On Wednesday, May 2 , the Davis FFA will be hosting a panel discussion with UC Davis undergrad students from those majors to answer questions about these topics.  The goal is to provide DHS students with a better understanding of the opportunities available in available to students interested in these areas of study.  Prizes, gifts and goodies provided!

-College Information Night for Juniors and their parents is Tuesday, April 24 at 7:00 P.M. starting in the IPAB. You can learn about public and private colleges and universities, community colleges, scholarships and financial aid, college entrance testing, and more during breakout sessions.  Join us on the 24th to find out more about the process of applying to colleges!
-Senior Ball will be on Saturday, May 19!  Tickets will go on sale from April 23 to May 11 at lunch ONLY.  May 14th and 15th, tickets will be sold during lunch, sixth and seventh periods.  Prices are as follow:  ASB/non-ASB: First week $65/$75, Second week $70/$80, Third week $80/$90, Final two days: $85/$95.

IMPORTANT DATES
-April 24 - 7:00 - College Information Night - IPAB
-May 2 - 6:00 - 8:00 - Open House with Special Information session with Principal for parents - 5:30 - IPAB

GRADUATION TICKET INFORMATION!
How will I be notified about the status of my ticket request?
Great news, Davis: Due to the thoughtful requests of our community and the hard work of our students, the Graduation Committee is able to fill all of our ticket requests for the Graduation 2012 program! Here is how you can secure those tickets:
1) Send your seniors to the Graduation Ticket table at Senior Week Activities (the first 30 minutes of each day-schedule below) to find your bill-our staff will tell you the number of tickets you requested and can purchase for $8.00 each.  2)                Then send your payment with your student back to their Senior Week Activities. It may be in the form of Cash or Check made out to "Davis Senior High" with "Graduation Tickets" in the subject line.  OR
3)            Payment will also be accepted at the Davis Senior High School at the tables in front of the Finance Office at lunch only.  See attached STAR testing Schedule.
4)            We will accept payment for tickets between Monday April 16 through Friday April 27.  Any tickets not paid for will be forfeited and enter the general public sale for anyone to purchase.
5)            If you only requested your free tickets, there is nothing else you need to do; the tickets have been set aside for you.
6)            If you have questions about your payment total or the number of tickets you will receive, you may call or email Teri Furlow at 530-757-5400 x 113 or tfurlow at djusd.net to request your information.  She will inform you of the total number of tickets you received and your total payment.  This information will also be kept at the front desk.  How will we receive our tickets to the ceremony?
Tickets will be distributed to graduates at our mandatory graduation practice, so be sure your grad is there!  Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. at Halden Field.  For the most up-to-date information, try our site: http://davishighstudentgovernment.wordpress.com/graduation/