[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Thursday April 26

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Wed Apr 25 13:52:30 PDT 2012

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin
Thursday, April 26, 2012

THIS DAY IN HISTORY
-1514 - Copernicus made his first observations of Saturn.

ATHLETICS
-Frosh Baseball vs. Yuba City                                              4:30
-Boys Lacrosse @ Las Lomas                                               5:30JV/7:30V               Dismissal: 2:45JV
-Girls Soccer vs. Elk Grove                                                   4:00V/5:30JV               Dismissal: 2:45V
-Varsity Softball vs. Laguna Creek                                    4:15V                              Dismissal: 2:45JV
-JV Softball vs. E. Nicolaus                                                   3:30                                 Dismissal: 2:00JV
-DVC Diving Finals                                                                   TBA
-Boys Volleyball @ Monterey Trail                                   5:00

TODAY
-For Lunch today we have Orange Chicken Rice, Teriyaki Chicken Rice or Popcorn Chicken over steamed local rice

-Madrigals Concert!  Tonight at 7:00 pm at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, 1017 11th Street in Sacramento, the Madrigals will perform under direction of madrigal Director Dr. Karen Gardias.  Donations for the Albie Aware/Albie Carson Breast Cancer Foundation and Wellspring Women's Center will be collected.  Admission is free! DHS staff and students are invited!

NEW
-"Thank you to all the students who came out to donate blood on Monday and to the Red Cross Club who helped organize this drive.   We registered 99 donors and collected 81 pints of blood. We had 60 first time donors which is fantastic to see! We hope you all had a good experience and will come back to donate again next year."
Rhona Youtsey R.N., DHS School Nurse.

CONTINUED
-Interested in learning about culinary careers and the restaurant industry?  Want to work in our very own cool new Café Diablo?  Please see your counselor to take the class next year!

-Reminder to Seniors!  Please submit your small kindergarten photo for Grad Night fun!  The box for photos is in the Front Office by the black document holder.

-Seniors/Graduation Ticket Deadline: Purchase your graduation tickets at lunch ONLY outside the Finance Office now through April 27.  The deadline to purchase Graduation tickets is tomorrow, Friday, April 27th!

-We will be having Solar Panels installed in the Veteran's parking lot.  Ultimately, it will be environmentally and financially beneficial for our district.  Key dates are: May 3-14th minor construction, some sections will be cordoned off.  May 17th is an opening ceremony in the morning; students and faculty are invited.  May 18th is the full start of the project.  May 24-29th is full shut-down.  Only students and faculty may use the stadium parking lot.  Since May is National Biking Month, students and staff are encouraged to ride their bikes to work for the days of construction.  June 1st through 5th, the Veterans lot will have concrete pour.  June 7th and 8th, there will be no construction as it's the last day of school and graduation.  June 9th-July 13th, the lot will be totally shut down.   These dates are subject to change.
-Day of Silence at DHS will take place tomorrow, Friday, April 27.  Please pledge to be silent as much as possible on that day in order to show support for LGBTQ students who cannot speak out or be themselves.  Staying silent echoes these silenced voice to show support against bullying.  Sign up and learn more in the Quad today, Wednesday or Thursday.

-Hey listen up, Blue Devils!  If you would like to play in this year's student-staff basketball game, come to C-4 to pick up your application today!  Applications are due tomorrow, Friday! You must be a junior or senior to participate.
-Interested in plant science, environmental horticulture, land restoration or biotechnology?  On Wednesday, May 2, the Davis FFA will be hosting a panel discussion with UC Davis undergrad students from those majors to answer questions about these topics.  The goal is to provide DHS students with a better understanding of the opportunities available in available to students interested in these areas of study.  Prizes, gifts and goodies provided!

-Senior Ball will be on Saturday, May 19!  Tickets will go on sale from April 23 to May 11 at lunch ONLY.  Prices are as follow:  ASB/non-ASB: First week $70/$80, Second week $75/$85, Third week $90/$95.

IMPORTANT DATES
-May 2 - 6:00 - 8:00 - Open House with Special Information session with Principal for parents - 5:30 - IPAB
-May 19 - Senior Ball - Sheraton Grand Hotel, Sacramento.  Doors open at 6:30

GRADUATION TICKET INFORMATION!
How will I be notified about the status of my ticket request?
Great news, Davis: Due to the thoughtful requests of our community and the hard work of our students, the Graduation Committee is able to fill all of our ticket requests for the Graduation 2012 program! Here is how you can secure those tickets:
1)            Payment will also be accepted at the Davis Senior High School at the tables in front of the Finance Office at lunch only.      We will accept payment for tickets until Friday April 27.  Any tickets not paid for will be forfeited and enter the general public sale for anyone to purchase.
2)            If you only requested your free tickets, there is nothing else you need to do; the tickets have been set aside for you.
3)            If you have questions about your payment total or the number of tickets you will receive, you may call or email Teri Furlow at 530-757-5400 x 113 or tfurlow at djusd.net to request your information.  She will inform you of the total number of tickets you received and your total payment.  This information will also be kept at the front desk.  How will we receive our tickets to the ceremony?
Tickets will be distributed to graduates at our mandatory graduation practice, so be sure your grad is there!  Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. at Halden Field.  For the most up-to-date information, try our site: http://davishighstudentgovernment.wordpress.com/graduation/