[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Wednesday 3-20-13

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Tue Mar 19 13:18:00 PDT 2013

     Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin - Wednesday, 3-20-13

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  1985 - Libby Riddles won the 1,135-mile Anchorage-to-Nome dog race becoming the first woman to win the Iditarod.

ATHLETICS:
Badminton vs. Napa - 3:30                                                                                          dismissal: 2:30 team
Baseball Frosh vs. Lincoln - 4:00
Boys JV Golf vs. Granite Bay - 2:00                                                                           dismissal: 1:00 select roster
Girls Lacrosse @ Redwood - 4:00V-5:30JV                                                            dismissal: 1:00V-2:45JV teams
Track & Field "Battle for the Spade" vs. Woodland/Pioneer - 3:30

LUNCH CHOICES:    Specials Today! Cherry Smoothies for only $1.50!  Chicken Rice Burritos in the Quad!  Rice Bowls with Teriyaki Chicken, Beef or Tofu served with fresh vegetables over steamed local rice.

TODAY:  Would you like to learn more about Yale University?  A Yale Ambassador will be in the Career Center on Wednesday, March 20 at lunch to discuss academics, student life, financial aid and personal experiences at Yale.  See you in the Career Center at lunch on Wednesday!

NEW:  A special thanks to everyone who helped organize the Blood Drive last Friday.  We had a great turnout!  As for the results, we registered 92 donors and collected 72 pints of life-saving blood.  We also had 44 new donors come out to save a life, woo hoo!  Great job by the Red Cross club in getting people excited to save lives!

One fish.  Two fish. We wish for you, Fish!  Next Wednesday, 3/22 is the deadline to turn in your Friendship Day facilitator application, so get busy!

Tony Fields singing and reading auditions are Tuesday, 3/26 during 7th and after school in P-11.  Come ready with the chorus of a pop song!  There will be a mandatory cast meeting on Thursday, 3/28 at 2:45 in P-11.

Seniors!  Come to the Holmes MPR on 3/29 to play some Bingo and win prizes!  Admission is $5 and food is included with admission.  The time will be announced soon.  See you there!

ONGOING/UPCOMING EVENTS:  This Thursday, 3/21, DHS PetsAlive Club and Steve's Original Pizza, 314 F Street, are putting on a fundraiser for the homeless pets of Yolo County for pet supplies.  Steve's will donate 20% of the proceeds of pizzas ordered between 5:00 and 9:00 when presented with a PetsAlive flyer.  A flyer will be emailed to you if you request one from DHSPetsAlive at gmail.com<mailto:DHSPetsAlive at gmail.com>.  This offer is good for dine in, take-out and delivery orders.  Please eat a pizza and help feed pets in need!

Latinos Unidos is hosting Anti-Discrimination week March 25th - 29th.  All that week, there will be fun activities during lunch with music from different cultures.  Monday, March 25th is Latinos Unidos day with 97.9 Radio Station and $6 Dos Coyotes burritos in the quad.  Hope to see you there!

Seniors!  It's not too soon to think about Grad Night 2013!  The tickets cover food, drinks and entertainment with Scholarships available through school counselors.  Grad Night is an all-night party for graduating DJUSD Seniors!  Forms can be found at www.davisgradnight.org<http://www.davisgradnight.org/>, questions answered at info at davisgradnight.org<mailto:info at davisgradnight.org>.  Kindergarten photos can be scanned using high resolution and sent to kindergartenphotos at davisgradnight.org<mailto:kindergartenphotos at davisgradnight.org>.  If mailing the photo, send to P.O. Box 2143, Davis, CA 95617. If you wish it to be returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with a telephone number.

DHS Orchestra audition results are now posted in PA-3. Things to remember: To complete the audition process if you don't plan to accept your group placement, you must email me by Friday, 3/22 amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us<mailto:amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us> .  It is very important to communicate your intentions because your seat will be filled from our waiting list. When emailing me, please indicate full name, instrument, student ID #, and reason for not accepting.  If you need an extension of time, email me your request and give me the date by which you expect to make your decision.   If you are accepting your seat in an audition orchestra, do nothing. You will be automatically enrolled for next year.

Please place recycle materials in proper containers which are the cardboard bins near the trash dumpster.  If you don't know where, ask somebody.  Davis Waste Removal will not dump containers with improper materials in them.

If you are a junior interested in pursuing a career in the energy resources industry, you may want to attend a free summer camp June 23-28, 2013 hosted by Chevron and the USC School of Engineering.  The program will introduce high school juniors to career opportunities in fields such as fossil fuels, solar, biofuel, nuclear energy and information technologies.  The deadline to apply is April 19.  Come to the Career Center for more information.

E Payment for the senior panoramic picture can be made online to www.mylifetouch.comm<http://www.mylifetouch.comm>   or dropped off at the Finance Office, in a sealed Lifetouch order envelope.  The Finance Office window is open at lunchtime; come inside at other times. Order forms are still available in the office but the orders with payment are due by the end of the day, Thursday, 3/21.  Extra order forms are available on the table in the Front Office.

IMPORTANT DATES:
3/21 - Youth in Government Mock Meeting
3/21 - DHS Bands - 7:30 - Richard Brunelle Music Theatre
3/23 - Wennberg Concert - 2:30 pm - Mondavi Center
3/24 - DHS Jazz Band - 7:30 - Mondavi Center
3/29 - Quarter 3 Ends
4/1-4/5 - Spring Break

HELPFUL LINKS: Jostens (Caps, Gowns, etc. http://www.jostens.com/apps/catalog/customer/1003768/Davis-High-School/ 916-782-3949
To Prepay Lunch for students: http://www.djusd.net/district/business/sns/prepay?searchterm=lunch+pre