[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Friday, 3-22-13

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Mar 21 14:17:01 PDT 2013

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin - Friday, 3-22-13

THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  1457 - The Gutenberg Bible became the first printed book.

ATHLETICS:
Baseball JV/Varsity vs. Jesuit @ Raley Field - 3:30JV-6:30V                            dismissal: 1:15JV team
Girls Lacrosse @ Bella Vista -4:00V/5:45                                                                dismissal: 1:30V
Boys Lacrosse vs. Bella Vista - 5:30JV-7:30V
Boys Swim@ Jesuit - 3:00                                                                                            dismissal: 12:45 select roster
Boys JV Tennis vs. Pioneer JV - 3:30                                                                        dismissal: 3:00JV team
Boys Varsity Tennis @ DecoTurf Tournament - all day                                    dismissal: all day select roster

LUNCH CHOICES:  Pork or Turkey Carnitas with cheese and tortilla chips, Roasted Turkey w/ gravy and mashed potatoes or Baked Catfish with potatoes.

TODAY:  Guest Speaker - Today, Friday, 3/22 during lunch in Room S-10, the Environmental Club will be hosting  a guest speaker from UCD's School of Veterinary Medicine, Michael Ziccardi.  Mr. Ziccardi will be presenting his work on the effects of petroleum on marine birds and animals.  Anyone is welcome to come and listen!  We hope to see you there!

DHS Orchestra audition results are now posted in PA-3. Things to remember: To complete the audition process if you don't plan to accept your group placement, you must email me no later than today, Friday, 3/22 amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us<mailto:amoreno at djusd.k12.ca.us> .  It is very important to communicate your intentions because your seat will be filled from our waiting list. When emailing me, please indicate full name, instrument, student ID #, and reason for not accepting.  If you need an extension of time, email me your request and give me the date by which you expect to make your decision.   If you are accepting your seat in an audition orchestra, do nothing. You will be automatically enrolled for next year.

Seniors!  If you haven't submitted your request form for graduation tickets, do so as soon as possible.  Take your form to the Finance Office.

NEW:  Reminder: There is an NHS meeting on Monday, 3/25 at lunch in S-12.  We will be holding officer elections so make sure you come and vote!  Also, remember that in order to maintain an active membership, you must attend at least 4 meetings per semester.

There will be a Model United Nations club meeting on Monday, March 25 at lunch in P-25.  All members should attend because we will be discussing plans for the remainder of the year and debriefing the UC Berkeley conference.  See you at lunch for Model UN!

ONGOING/UPCOMING EVENTS:  Tony Fields singing and reading auditions are Tuesday, 3/26 during 7th and after school in P-11.  Come ready with the chorus of a pop song!  There will be a mandatory cast meeting on Thursday, 3/28 at 2:45 in P-11.

Seniors!  Come to the Holmes MPR on 3/29 to play some Bingo and win prizes!  Admission is $5 and food is included with admission.  The time will be 7:00 pm.  See you there!

Latinos Unidos is hosting Anti-Discrimination week March 25th - 29th.  All that week, there will be fun activities during lunch with music from different cultures.  Monday, March 25th is Latinos Unidos day with 97.9 Radio Station and $6 Dos Coyotes burritos in the quad.  Hope to see you there!

Monday, March 25, is the deadline to submit information and articles for the April 2013 DHS PTA newsletter. Please send news, announcements, etc. to the DHS PTA Media listserve at DHSPTAmedia at mailman.dcn.org<mailto:DHSPTAmedia at mailman.dcn.org>  and include your name and a parent or faculty name and contact information (e-mail address and phone number) in case the newsletter editor has questions about your submission. Also, please be sure to include a teacher or parent contact and his/her phone number or e-mail address.  The Newsletter is a great way to reach all DHS families!

One fish.  Two fish. We wish for you, Fish!  Next Wednesday, 3/27 is the deadline to turn in your Friendship Day facilitator application, so get busy!

Sophomores and Juniors!  Would you like to do research at UC Davis this summer?  The UC Davis Young Scholars Program offers summer research opportunities in biology and the natural sciences for high achieving high school students.  Applications are due April 1.  Come to the Career Center for more information and an application.

Seniors!  It's not too soon to think about Grad Night 2013!  The tickets cover food, drinks and entertainment with Scholarships available through school counselors.  Grad Night is an all-night party for graduating DJUSD Seniors!  Forms can be found at www.davisgradnight.org<http://www.davisgradnight.org/>, questions answered at info at davisgradnight.org<mailto:info at davisgradnight.org>.  Kindergarten photos can be scanned using high resolution and sent to kindergartenphotos at davisgradnight.org<mailto:kindergartenphotos at davisgradnight.org>.  If mailing the photo, send to P.O. Box 2143, Davis, CA 95617. If you wish it to be returned, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with a telephone number.

IMPORTANT DATES:
3/23 - Band Concert - 9:00 - 4:00 - Brunelle Music Theatre
3/23 - Wennberg Concert - 2:30 pm - Mondavi Center
3/24 - DHS Jazz Band - 7:30 - Mondavi Center
3/29 - Quarter 3 Ends
4/1-4/5 - Spring Break

HELPFUL LINKS: Jostens (Caps, Gowns, etc. http://www.jostens.com/apps/catalog/customer/1003768/Davis-High-School/ 916-782-3949
To Prepay Lunch for students: http://www.djusd.net/district/business/sns/prepay?searchterm=lunch+pre