[DHS Bulletin] Bulletin, Tuesday, 9/9/14

DHS Daily Bulletin dhsbulletin at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Sep 8 14:05:08 PDT 2014

Davis Senior High School
Daily Bulletin, Tuesday, September 9, 2014
THIS DAY IN HISTORY:  1850 - California became the 31st state to join the union.
LUNCH CHOICES: Daily Express: Italian Meatball Bowl, Roasted Chicken Bowl, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich,
Smoked Turkey Sandwich, Aggie Sandwich (Vegetarian), Chicken or Beef Burrito, Chicken Teriyaki ***
Today's Menu:  BBQ Chicken w/ Macaroni and Cheese or Chicken Adobo w/ Asian Noodles

ATHLETICS:  Girls Golf @ Vacaville                                             3:00                                        Dismissal: 1:30
Girls Volleyball vs. Vacaville                                                         4:00F/5:00JV/6:00V

Interested in playing Girls Basketball at DHS and aren't currently playing a Fall sport?  Contact Coach
Highshoe at hhighshoe at gmail.com to find out gym times and location.  Participation in Fall workouts
are not mandatory to try out for the team.

Wrestling pre-season practice starts Sept 9th at 7pm in the dance room at DHS.  Anyone interested in
joining the wrestling team is encouraged to participate in pre-season workouts (Tuesday/Thursday 7 to
8:30pm) if you are not currently participating in a Fall sport.  There will be an athlete meeting on Wed.
Sept  10th during lunchtime in the weight room at DHS. Questions? Contact Ty Brown at
tbrown at djusd.net

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:  The DHS Council is looking for dedicated students to join our committee.
The Site Council consists of Principal Brown, staff, parents and students.   The Site Council discusses
ways to improve student achievement and supports new programs at its monthly meetings.  If you
would like to help shape the future of our school, please pick up an application from Vice Principal
McHale in the office by Tuesday, September 9.  Applications are due by noon on Wednesday, September
10.
Attention Fall ILS students:  For those of you who have completed and turned in your Fall sport ILS
application, the mandatory course information meeting is Wednesday, this week.  2:30pm sharp.  Small
gym.  Please be on time so we can finish before you head to team practice.  This is where you will get
the coursework, so don't miss out.

Seniors! Make sure you're thinking about Senior Ads!  Order by October 31st to get the Early Bird
Special price! Contact Mr. Achimore in P-21 with any questions!

TODAY: Think before you move!  Join the DHS Chess Club for social, fun and occasionally competitive
chess. All levels are welcome (even with no experience, we will teach you)!  Meets every Tuesday at
Lunch in Mr. Vasquez's room (L-20).   Be there, or be square like a chess board.  There will be cookies!

Come learn about the Freedom From Hunger Club today, Tuesday, September 9th at lunch in Ms.
Neagley's room, L-22.  There will be treats!

The Guitar Club meets today, Tuesday at 12:00 in Room P-22.

Interested in health care and community service?  Join us at the first meeting of the DHS Health
Awareness Club today, Tuesday, September 9th during lunch in S5. This club allows students to take
action on their interests in health by setting up innovative events to successfully educate our peers. To
learn more about us please check our website at http://dhsthac.wix.com/dhs-thac or contact us at
dhsthac at gmail.com or on Facebook at DHS Teen Health Awareness Club.

You are invited to the introductory meeting of the Model United Nations Club.  Please come to P-25
today,Tuesday, September 9th at lunch.  This club looks at international events and problems.  As a
team, we act as diplomats at conferences around the state where UN topics are debated.

Juniors!  Interested in building the Junior Class Homecoming Float? Come to S-7 on Tuesday, September
9 to start planning our Egyptian-Mythology-themed float!

ACADEMICS: INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY: Davis Media Access is offering a four-month, non-paid
internship where students can gain hands-on experience and exposure to many aspects of community
television production.  Interns must be at least 16 years old and able to work 3-6 hours per week.  The
deadline to apply is September 12.  Come to the Career Center for more information.

Community Service Opportunity:  Emerson Junior High is looking for high school students to help with
tutoring junior high kids in English and math from 3:30 - 4:30 Monday - Thursday in the Emerson library.
Come to the Career Center for more information.

CLUBS/EVENTS:  Attention MSA Members: We will be having our first meeting of the year this
Wednesday, September 10 at lunchtime in P-10.  Anyone is welcome to join us!

Hello DHS Students! Do you want to help out your community and be a part of the biggest club on
campus?  Come and join CSF.  Registration will take place at lunch in P-13 from Monday, September 15
to Thursday, September 25th.  Don't forget to bring last semester's report card, $5 and the pink form
which can be found in P-13, the library or the Front Office.  Don't wait until the last minute because it
gets crowded.

The German Club meets every Monday at lunch in N-2.  Come to our first meeting to make posters, have
elections and discuss this year's activities.  No knowledge of German is required.

Do you enjoy fast-paced competition?  Do you like science?  Join Science Bowl!  Science Bowl is an
academic competition similar to Jeopardy.  Our first meeting will be on Monday, September 15th at
lunch in S-11.

Announcing your Quiz Bowl question of the day!  What war, including the battles of Agincourt and
Crecy, was fought between France and England in the 14th and 15th centuries?   If you enjoy fast-paced
competitive trivia, come to Quiz Bowl Wednesdays at lunch in S-7.

Are you interested in community service?  Come check out Key Club's welcome meeting this Wednesday
at lunch in Room S-12.  We will talk about registration and there will be food!  See you there!

The DHS Car Club  first meeting at lunch is Thursday, Sept 11th in O-3. You are invited! The DHS car club
is for students interested in anything automotive.  In the past, the club has taken trips the K1 racing
center in Sacramento and organized parties for members here on campus. The club has access to the
DHS auto shop, including its project cars and equipment.  In the spring, we will be organizing the Devil
Day Car Show, so be on the lookout for that. Hope to you at car club this year

Want to start a club?  New and continuing club applications are available on the student government
website and in C-4.  They are due in C-4 on Friday, September 12th.  If you have any questions about
starting or running a club, come to C-4 on Wednesday, September 10th at lunch.

Interested in being a Walker Creek CABIN LEADER?  Cabin leaders are needed for Pioneer Elementary.
Cabin leaders must work well with children, and have an outgoing personality with an enthusiasm for
the outdoors. Guys are encouraged to apply!  Applications are available in the Career Center.

IMPORTANT DATES:
9/10 -    FIRST LATE START WEDNESDAY BLOCK SCHEDULE
9/11 -    THURSDAY BLOCK SCHEDULE
9/12 -    FRIENDSHIP DAY
9/17 -    LAST DAY TO ADD/DROP CLASSES
9/17 -    BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
9/18 -    CSF FALL 2014 REGISTRATION
9/26 -    HOMECOMING

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged and confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. The unauthorized access, use, disclosure, or distribution of this email may constitute a violation of federal and/or state laws.